Are baby chicks too dirty to hold?

You are going to have to closely interact with the chickens throughout their life so if you are not prepared to handle chicks then how do you anticipate handling full grown hens? Mine were inside for 1 week. I didn't notice a smell or intolerable dust but could not bear to see them in what we thought was too small of a brooder. Moved them out into a 4X8' brooder in the garage where they have room to fly and do chick things, and there is no smell.

I wash my hands when I remember but I've had animals (dogs/birds) all my life and honestly, it doesn't make my top 10 of concerns on a daily basis. That said, when I did have small children I would have been more concerned. Now, if everyone washes their hands before and after, and leaves their chicken shoes outside, then I'm a happy chick mom.

Oh wow, never knew there was such a thing as a 4x8 brooder! That looks awesome. I HATE mine being in a small one! I have brooder envy. We are going to start bringing ours out in the coop during the day for breaks since it's so nice out. I can't wait for them to be old enough to be outside. My husband built the coop and it's HUGE! I've been surprised by how much I am really enjoying the chickens and our two ducklings. They are so sweet!

While chickens can carry disease, if you get chickens or chicks from a good source that is very unlikely to be the case. I personally have my chicks up stairs in what will be my daughters room (she will be 2 in about a month) yes they make dust but it's easy to clean (if you have a allergy to this type of thing don't get chickens or chicks) and they don't stink if you clean their brooder with hot soapy water or a sanitizer special made for using on small animal or poultry cages if you fail to clean it out ever 3-4 days it can start to smell a bit but after 3-4 days anything will start to stink.

As others have said wash your hands after handling chickens and chicks do not let people with poor immune systems near tho for various reasons. make sure childrens hands are washed as well if the touch the chicks/chickens. I personally don't let my chickens get on my furniture or anything as while I do like my chickens at the end of they day they are live stock and should not be in the house as pets, think you going a bit over board tho on changing clothes specially if your not covered in poo they will be fine. Chickens can be ditry i mean they are live stock and they should live outside. if being normal "ditry" chickens worries anyone maybe chicks/chickens is not the best idea, knew some thinking along the same lines as you they got chicks and after about 3 weeks said no to dirty and sold them to a guy who had reptiles now you tell me what you think happend to them?.

seriously tho they are only as dirty as you think and allow them to be mine are quite clean (well minus the mud pit the turned my once grassy hard into with the help of bad weather lol) they are nice to have around but not if your OCD lol.

That itch some of U thought was a skeeter bite...Hmmm... :confused::he
Unlikely, unless they're invisible. Infestations are hard to miss.

I handle both chicks (kept indoors) and full grown birds (kept outdoors) daily. Adult birds are rarely let in the house, but if they require to be in due to medical reasons, then I bring them inside for a while. They are kept in the basement only, and no, they are not allowed to roam. While I would prefer to raise chicks outdoors, I feel keeping them inside is a better idea than running electricity out there. I might be just a tidge paranoid, lol. Chickens are not filthy or disease ridden unless you're taking poor care of them. Do they carry bacteria? Of course. They are outdoor animals and act as such, but there's a difference between a toilet and a cesspool, if you know what I mean. Sensible precaution is all that is needed. I personally have never experienced any illness linked to the chickens... unless the alarmists are blaming the common cold on them nowadays. :rolleyes: I'd also recommend being more careful about handwashing if you've never owned livestock or been around chickens in the past.

I kept mine in a spare room, and kept it clean. No smell. When they are so tiny, they get things in their water, so you will have to change or run off the dirty water from crock or constant waterer every couple of hours, & keeping the water raised will cut down on cleaning frequency. The older they get, the less frequently you will need to clean. I picked mine up & handled them frequently, with a paper towel, newspaper, or cloth on my lap. I've never actually had one poop on my hand. Now, fully grown, and years later, they run to me when I pull into the driveway, and run to me when i call them. I adopted a friend's young hen recently (4 months ago), & she runs from me. You can tell a difference between 'raised' chickens or just someone who badically grows them, without contact. Big difference. Meal worm or other insect treats are also key, so when they see you, they associate your presence with pleasant experiences. Good luck!:wee

Just a little side track that I found interesting.
I ran into a guy that used to be my neighbor and has since became older and moved to his own place.
Well crazy story short he got a GF, had a baby, broke up, bunch of drama and a custody fight.
There has been accusastions and child welfare involved.
Anyways he asked if I wanted a bunch of chicks he had. Apparently child welfare came to interview him and check out his place. He has a brooder set up in a back bedroom and knowing him I wouldn't believe it was a mess or smelled bad or anything.
They informed him they must go asap and they would be back to make sure he complied.
According to my states child welfare chicks/chickens inside the home was unsanitary and a real health concern in reguards to minors in the home.
It was endangering and know way would they consider his home acceptable to raise a child in but that was their only issue so all he needed to do was move them outside or just get rid of them.
Anyone ever heard of such? Sounds like government ignorance to me.

There are more germs on the handles of the shopping cart you use every week than there are on your chicks. That being said, common sense trumps all. Simply wash your hands. If you are a germophobe, keep a bottle of hand sanitizer by the brooder.

One other note: Be sure you do not overheat your babies. They only need a tiny warm spot in which to warm up. The rest of the brooder should be what ever your ambient basement temperature is. They should have a minimum of 12 s.f. in their brooder by the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old.

I am also a huge fan of Poultry Nutri Drench. All my babies get it daily for the first week, then every 2 - 3 days during week 2, then 1 - 2 x/week for the balance of their first month. Be sure your chick feed is fresh. It rapidly degrades 6 weeks after the mill date which can be found on the bottom of the bag.

Just a little side track that I found interesting.
I ran into a guy that used to be my neighbor and has since became older and moved to his own place.
Well crazy story short he got a GF, had a baby, broke up, bunch of drama and a custody fight.
There has been accusastions and child welfare involved.
Anyways he asked if I wanted a bunch of chicks he had. Apparently child welfare came to interview him and check out his place. He has a brooder set up in a back bedroom and knowing him I wouldn't believe it was a mess or smelled bad or anything.
They informed him they must go asap and they would be back to make sure he complied.
According to my states child welfare chicks/chickens inside the home was unsanitary and a real health concern in reguards to minors in the home.
It was endangering and know way would they consider his home acceptable to raise a child in but that was their only issue so all he needed to do was move them outside or just get rid of them.
Anyone ever heard of such? Sounds like government ignorance to me.
Sounds like a over bearing nanny state which I would fight them on but then again I'm a subborn mule and the only way a chick would cause any harm is if the child has a immune disorder. I feel bad for ur x neighbors gf and gov are real *coughs*. Waiting for all hell to break lose everywhere and ppl try and over throw their governments. Personally think they are becoming over bearing and far reaching into matters that they have no buisness in.

I am very cautious about germs because I have two kids who are immunosuppressed. I always have the wall hand sanitizers up by my entry doors and bathrooms. We added another by the brooder. My kids know they must sanitize after touching the chicks and then go to the bathroom and wash with soap and water when they are done. We haven’t had any issues.

Sounds like a over bearing nanny state which I would fight them on but then again I'm a subborn mule and the only way a chick would cause any harm is if the child has a immune disorder. I feel bad for ur x neighbors gf and gov are real *coughs*. Waiting for all hell to break lose everywhere and ppl try and over throw their governments. Personally think they are becoming over bearing and far reaching into matters that they have no buisness in.
You can't fight them when there is an ongoing custody case. You will lose the kids. It's a no win situation. You just have to do what ever they say until you get them off the case. I saw a neighbor go thru hell with them.

Back
Top Bottom