Are baby chicks too dirty to hold?

I have seen the same photos where chicks are left inside a home seemingly left to roam at will. Although I doubt this is the case. Perhaps this is only done for photographic purposes.

Consider this; have you ever witnessed a chicken or a chick for that matter not peck at itself? I doubt it, they seem to be undergoing this ritual continuously & I am not strictly referring to grooming. Watch a chick closely. All of a sudden & for no apparent reason they peck at themselves. When this happens it is spontaneous & is NOT grooming. My guess is Mites or Lice or both.

In addition, I do not bath my chickens, & definitely not my chicks. I keep their pens & brooders as clean as humanly possible. Even at that, my chicks still smell like their discharge. If & when I handle them I do not let them make contact with my cloths & I make certain I wash my hands thoroughly before venturing into my home. If & when I handle an adult, I will leave my cloths outside for at least a day then wash.

We cannot loose sight that these are animals...not teddy bears. ;)

But that’s just me.

I agree with everyone else that said just washing your hands with soap after handling is sufficient (I also wash after handling eggs).

I never let them wander the house as chicks so poop on furniture wasn't an issue. Some people do have house chickens.

I admit I kissed one of my chickens once. I haven't died yet! I kiss my dogs regularly and I used to let my rats put their heads in my mouth so that's probably a LOT worse. Rats taste terrible!

When I was a kid we had this sweet cockatiel named Curly who used to stick his head in my and my sister's mouths, lol. He would peck at our teeth and tongue. We called it "doing our Ozzie Osbourne impression." Made for some good pictures! :)

Oh when I was younger I let my cockatiel put his head in my mouth too LOL... I guess that's probably as bad of an idea as letting a rat or a chicken do it. I finally had to stop with the rats because they'd nip, but the cockatiel was good about not doing that.

As mentioned above it's crictcal to approach your chicks from a calm low level if you want pet hens. I have a pair of 27 month old hens who are still skittish because the guy I got them from had them in a box for the first 10 weeks of their lives and reached down from above to change food and water once or so a day scaring the tar out of them. My current pullets I raised from hatch are already much easier going then they ever were.

We are getting 6 baby chicks (3 Buffs and 3 Barred Rocks) in a few weeks (FYI - never have had chickens before). We have the brooder all ready to go and think we will put it in the basement - due to smell and dust (or so I have heard). We would like them socialized though so I am a little nervous about not having them upstairs with us. I guess I will have to go visit the basement a lot.

My question is about the socializing of the chicks. I have seen so many pictures of people cuddling with them and letting them on their furniture. Aren't they very dirty? Can't they carry diseases? I was planning on just holding them but do I need to change my clothes every time I interact with them? Should I be too worried about this? Help!

I keep mine very close. In the bedroom, in fact! I’m a first timer as well, and having them near is reassuring. I check on them frequently and have never had a problem with smell in my 2 weeks of keeping. I spot clean every day and throw a bit of new bedding on as needed. It’s a comforting smell... of fresh shavings and warmth. You put those babies wherever your mothering heart tells you, Mama! PS. I have a dedicated chicken sweater lol, they will want to perch on your arms and shoulders and even your head!

You are going to have to closely interact with the chickens throughout their life so if you are not prepared to handle chicks then how do you anticipate handling full grown hens? Mine were inside for 1 week. I didn't notice a smell or intolerable dust but could not bear to see them in what we thought was too small of a brooder. Moved them out into a 4X8' brooder in the garage where they have room to fly and do chick things, and there is no smell.

I wash my hands when I remember but I've had animals (dogs/birds) all my life and honestly, it doesn't make my top 10 of concerns on a daily basis. That said, when I did have small children I would have been more concerned. Now, if everyone washes their hands before and after, and leaves their chicken shoes outside, then I'm a happy chick mom.

Hi! I'm raising my first flock and they are now 2 weeks old. I have two kiddos (12 and 14) and mine are held a lot! I've noticed now they have become much more tame and don't scurry away as much as they did. They are so enjoyable to snuggle with. We just make sure to wash our hands and have had no issues so far.

I think I was surprised by how dirty they are though, especially the ducks! I clean their brooder every day now and change out the water twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom