Fuzzy's Farm

This is the roo from cocoa and plucky. Pretty (still in the awkward stage) but i am not sure about all the black. His under fluff is black too. Idk if this would encourage the blue reds, or just end up with hens with too much black in them? He is also more skittish than i anticipated, and looks like he may end up big like his daddy.
No beard though :(
He is super soft, however, just like his mom and sister. (silkie soft, a lot of the under fluff actually looks like it is silkie feathering?) Cocoa's back had only a strip of real feathers down it, the sides were super thick silkie fuzz. And the longest butt fuzz ever. lol.

Her daughter also butts up against my hand when i'm petting her, like her mom did, just like a lap cat would.

good Morning!

School starts tomorrow
wee.gif

Im gonna give us the week to get back in the swing of getting up early (kids) and getting out the door on time (all of us).
Then the struggle of getting my kid to do her homework (
barnie.gif
)...but I am planning on visiting Robin this coming or next weekend.
wee.gif

Dropping my husband off in Hillsdale for the day, first. Then going to Robins.

Good luck with your incubated eggs, Fuzzy.

Quote, Marty, little giant thread:

every thermometer is different. You can test them, though, to find out how far off they are. Get a glass of ice, and put in just enough water to reach the top of the ice. Put in your thermometer for 2 minutes. AT that time, it should read 32 degrees. Anything higher or lower is how far off you are. Just go mark the idea temp with a marker on your thermometer, and your all set. Its a food safety technique
*********************************************************************************************************************************
Quote, C Mom, little giant thread
To calibrate a hygrometer you will need:

1/2 cup table salt
approximately 1/4 cup water
coffee cup
hygrometer
large resealable freezer bag

Place 1/2 cup of salt in the coffee cup, and add the water. Stir for a bit to totally saturate the salt. The salt won't dissolve in this amount of water; instead, the salt should have the consistency of wet sand.

Carefully place the cup containing the salt/water mix in a resealable plastic bag. Place the hygrometer in the bag, away from the cup of salt and water. Note: make sure none of the salt/water mix comes in direct contact with the hygrometer, or the hygrometer may be damaged. Completely seal the bag.

Place the sealed bag aside at room temperature for 8-12 hours. Pick a location free of drafts, out of direct sunlight, and away from heating or cooling vents. The temperature should be fairly constant.

After being in the sealed bag for 8-12 hours, check the reading of the hygrometer. It is best to read it while still in the bag, since if your house air is dry the reading may go down quickly once you take the hygrometer out of the bag.

The relative humidity in the sealed bag with the salt/water mix should be 75 percent.

If yours is the adjustable type, adjust the screw or setting so that it would have read 75 percent. You will have to do this very quickly, or remember how much you need to adjust the setting (e.g. for mine, it read 72 percent when it should have been 75 percent, so I would need to set it ahead by 3 percentage points). You may want to put the hygrometer back in the bag for another 8 hours to double check your adjustment.

If yours is not adjustable (like mine), simply make a note of how "off" your hygrometer reads. If it reads below 75 percent, you will need to add the difference to your actual readings. If your hygrometer read above 75 percent on the calibration, you will need to subtract the difference from your actual reading. Here are some examples to help:
Case 1: after sitting in the bag for calibration, my hygrometer read 72 percent. It should have read 75 percent, so the difference is 3 percent. I will now add 3 percent to the readings I take on the hygrometer (e.g. in a tank) to get the actual relative humidity.
Case 2: after calibrating in the bag, a hygrometer read 80 percent. It should have read 75 percent, a difference of 5 percent. I would have to subtract 5 percent from readings when using the hygrometer to get an accurate relative humidity.

Remember: always give a hygrometer about 2 hours to stabilize before taking a reading, as changes in the relative humidity may take a while to register accurately on a hygrometer.

Last edited:
wee.gif
So far so good, the LG has been holding steady temps today with the eggs in there! :) I did also use some box tape to seal the edges, and both of the big holes are plugged. I have it propped up on one of those ring hat-makers, with a bowl wedged under to keep it on an angle. I had put around 2 Tb of water or more in there, just enough to start the eggs and from here out it will be dry incu until the last 3 days...........................
fl.gif

I only have a dozen eggs in there and i decided to have them in a cut up cardboard egg holder, and tip the bator instead of hand turning and trying to fight the temps.

Back
Top Bottom