Cleaning dried membrane from newborn duckling

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Premium Feather Member
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
This duckling had a difficult, sticky hatch and is covered in dried membrane. It can't even move one of its wings or fully open its eye. Do you think washing it in warm water would be too much of a risk that it would take chill? If so, how else might I clean it up a little? It's still in the incubator.
1000002390.jpg

Warm water should work fine. You can set the duckling right in a bowl of warm water and gently wipe it down. I used a soft toothbrush to help pull away the membrane on a chick.

Return the baby to the incubator so it stays warm while it dries off.

I used warm water and a Q tip and rolled it back and forth over the dried membrane until it came off. It was very slow and I gave the duckling breaks in between to warm up and relax

Warm water should work fine. You can set the duckling right in a bowl of warm water and gently wipe it down. I used a soft toothbrush to help pull away the membrane on a chick.

Return the baby to the incubator so it stays warm while it dries off.

I used warm water and a Q tip and rolled it back and forth over the dried membrane until it came off. It was very slow and I gave the duckling breaks in between to warm up and relax
Thanks! I think I'll try warm water and a cloth.

Back
Top Bottom