Difference in Blue Plymouth Rocks and Blue Andalusians? Help Identifying a Mix up

RememberTheWay

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
I purchased about 30 bBS Andalusians, and then got 5 blue Plymouth rocks. Being dumb I figured I had time to band them because as chicks I could tell them apart. Then one day while feeding I realized the blue rocks had gotten lost in the mix and no one had leg bands!

So I'm looking for help in maybe figuring out what would be some subtle differences in identifying between the two. So far I'm not having luck and thinking I'm going to have to scrap my breeding plans with the Andalusians 🤦😧 because now most of them are essentially BYM now because I have no clue who the blue rocks are anymore. To further complicate things, I had a predator attack happen and lost about 10 birds. Some of them were definitely black Andalusians but some of them were a toss up. So now I I don't even know what number of imposters I'm looking for because all five could of died or they all could of survived or only one or two. What an absolute mess!

Anyways was hoping maybe someone on here with more experience with these two breeds would be able to give me some pointers on maybe being able to see subtle differences to decide who is who and not have to start over with my Andalusian project

Thanks in advance 🥰

Andalusian should have pink gray legs and white earlobes, and rocks should have yellow legs and red earlobes.
Everyone in this group seems to have slate/grey legs, but the earlobes things may be something. I'll have to take a look at everyone and get back with you.

Thanks, btw! Great suggestion!

Andalusian should have pink gray legs and white earlobes, and rocks should have yellow legs and red earlobes.
I was also thinking that maybe the rocks would be bigger then the Andalusians at maturity but not sure on that either... Can't remember how size difference shakes out with hybrids

I was also thinking that maybe the rocks would be bigger then the Andalusians at maturity but not sure on that either... Can't remember how size difference shakes out with hybrids
Andalusian are an egg laying Mediterranean breed, so they are considered light. Rocks are dual purpose, so they will be bigger at maturity as far as weight.

While I'd like to agree with the first poster.. blue rocks are a hybrid that aren't rock's.. but a cross between Andalusian and rock.. so may still present with white earlobes or skin.. since white skin is dominant.. according to my CURRENT understanding.. see pics in following link..

https://www.myerspoultry.com/product-plymouth-blue-rock

Andalusian are an egg laying Mediterranean breed, so they are considered light. Rocks are dual purpose, so they will be bigger at maturity as far as weight.
But the blue rocks are not actually full Plymouth rocks, they are a hybrid of Andalusians x Barred rock hen - so what I was saying about genetics as far as size would go, im not certain how those two sizes crossed would shake out. I would assume that the hybrid would end up being somewhere in the middle of the two sizes but I could be wrong. Or maybe you would have some chicks who inherited the Andalusians size and others that inherited the rocks size?

But the blue rocks are not actually full Plymouth rocks,
It appears they are sex linked and will all be female if the crossing staement is true.. and thus you *may* be able tell the difference by egg color??

So because the "blue rocks" would be barred if male. all the solid black or blue males should be pure for Andi.

White eggs may not rule out "blue rock" but cream or light brown/tan eggs sure rules out pure for Andalusian.

Red ear lobes and yellow legs as mentioned by the first poster would also still at least rule out pure Andi..

Fun little mystery. :pop

I didn't know that. Thank you for clarifying it.
To me it's very misleading that they call them that.. and also disappointing.. Blue sex links would be more accurate. (splash roo over barred hen essentially)

How cool would true blue plymouth Rock's be?! I tried finding some many years ago but this information was about all I discovered. In some ways it's fun to see all the new project colors and some other ways it's much more frustrating not to be able to tell "breeds" apart but especially to have them sold under bogus names.

Back
Top Bottom