Could You Tell Me What Color This Peacock Is?

Love to see him when he gets his train, mixing colors like folks do now days yealds all kinds of unexpected colors some don't even look like the parents at all.

I bred my pitt with my rotty and all the pups were brown, the next time i bred her with him some of the pups came out black and tan some came out sorrel and white like her , you never know what you might get .

Not offended at all! When I got him, she said he was one year old and that was just about a year ago. I generally just trust what people say (which usually turns out to be a mistake, it seems, haha). Peafowl are still a new venture for me, so I'm pretty much a newbie still!

Only reason i said that was cause i have raised up 2 batches from hatch, he could also be a late bloomer, i purchased a 18 month old male that had his first train, abd it was pretty nice, after he turned 2 he got a full blown train like a 3 year old is supose to have over 200 feathers in that train but i lost him.
My first pea i raised will be 2 in august and he only has one tiny eye feather abd it does not have a eye to it really it is missing the dark and light blue
This is the 18 month old

Last edited:
And at the risk of offending someone, I would suggest that bird is NOT two years old.

Not offended, but I will have to disagree. The train feathers on the bird look almost identical to the train feathers on my 2 year old IB (and I know he's 2 because I hatched him myself)... He turns 2 in less than a month. So I'd have to say 2 years is probably pretty close, give or take a couple months for the breeding season range. Last year at 1 year old Blu had no color on the train feathers and most 3 year old pics I see the birds are starting to get eye feathers.

His train at 1 year (inside after surgery, he's kind of a mess in the pic, but it's the first one I found) with no green:

I have a pic of his train now, and you can definitely see the difference in color. I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.

I agree, he should not only have more well defined train feathers at 2, but certainly his back and wings should be more developed color wise. But as zazouse pointed out, anything is possible, I just have not experienced it. If you have not noticed a significant bod size increase in the year you have owned him, he is probably a REAL, REAL late 2010 chick. It is way to early for me to comment on the % green based on his neck, back and shoulders. In any event unless you were going to breed him this year, you are perfectly fine either way. He is certainly going to be MUCH different and MUCH prettier this time next year.

Back
Top Bottom