Could You Tell Me What Color This Peacock Is?

MarissaC

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 12, 2011
Near Waco, TX
I've had this guy for a while and he just doesn't look anything like my India Blue peacock. He is 2 years old now. The lady I bought him from last year suggested that he *may* be an Emerald. To be honest, I know very little about the colors of peafowl. What would you call him?

Coloring looks like blackshouldered IB and some spalding mixed in,
Does he have any train feathers at all?
Would love to see different angles of him.

I know but if you bred a spalding and blackshoulder you would have some green blood.
where if you bred a BS to a gree you would have a spalding right?
so that is why i said what i did.
I can not tell if the crest is just growing back or if it is tight and erect like that because of green blood, but there are a few short feathers that make me think it is just growing back

Wow, all sorts of new information for me! It is nice to have an idea of what color he is though. He is turning out to be very pretty :)

Zazouse, he was bullied a bit at one point, so the crest is growing back in (which I am thrilled about)!

Very pretty bird. I am voting Spalding Black Shoulder.
I have a pretty Spalding hen and some black shoulder boys, maybe next year I can hatch one like yours.

I know but if you bred a spalding and blackshoulder you would have some green blood.
where if you bred a BS to a gree you would have a spalding right?

Yes, but the barring on this bird's feathers shows it's not BS despite the black on the wings- I think the black on the wings is a result of the green blood, not of a blackshoulder gene. Remember that blackshoulders start off as yellow chicks, and they gain a sort of "dirty" feather look on the second molt, and then they start getting in black laced feathers, then their scaled feathers. There's never any barring.
First two pics Here show a young IB cock beside a BS one.

However, the greens naturally have solid wing colors:

So I think that's what we're seeing in the wings.

Back
Top Bottom