Chain link Panels for chicken runs - coop set up & Ideas

No, but he did make a center support that I was interested in asking more about. If we put two or three of those in we might have been ok.
Oh ok I misunderstood, sorry.
Hopefully she will be online today to help you.

No, but he did make a center support that I was interested in asking more about. If we put two or three of those in we might have been ok.
Yes, I agree that the span for a roof will need to be supported. Here are a couple ways that mine is different.
1. steel tubing is made into frames for the roofs, and they have regular chicken wire reinforcing the blank space inside the frames. So my roof is probably lighter than the roof you are holding up.
2. There are roof angle reinforcing joints on the gable ends and inside.
3. interior supports are held tightly at the correct angle of the roof, using hardware that is used in building chain-link fences - These came from Lowes.
4. yes, you are right -- I have a center pole in one of the 10x20 which is a pole (again from Lowe's in the fence-building section) that we sawed to the height needed and then placed on a concrete paver.

Here are pictures:
P1070763.JPG

can you see right at the roof peak?
P1070762.JPG

same roof peak a little farther away.
P1070764.JPG

The inside view under the tarp of that roof peak.
P1070765.JPG

Here is a join we made on the inside, with fence hardware and mimiced the same angle as the roof. the zip-ties are holding the chicken-wire to the poles.
P1070766.JPG

Here is the attachment to the side walls which are upright -- You can see attachment of roof, and then attachment of pole to the side wall and this part of the tarp is held with bungee cords over the chicken wire that holds the tarp up. Most bungees are now replaced with zip ties.
P1070767.JPG

This 4-way pipe joint is from the kit, and it is in the exact center of one of the 10x20, however, the other 10x20 has no center support. Instead it relies on two roof kits. This one has only 1 roof kit with chain link fence poles to extend it beyond it's intended 10x10. The other one uses two 10x10. Fence pole is just sitting under this and held by gravity.
P1070768.JPG

Here is the base of that pole, you can see the concrete paver is partly/mostly covered by dirt in the coop.
P1070124.JPG

Snow is fairly rare here, and pretty light, as shown in this picture. You can also see the nearer 10x20 has a gap in the exact center. ETA due to two roof kits instead of one that was modified. No center support in that pen.
P1070652.JPG

Here is a photo from the roof kit box-- I got mine at TSC.

HTH -- let me know if I can help or if there are any other questions. Sorry that snow caused you grief.

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, it was about 6 inches of wet snow and rain following, making ice. This was our first storm. Ugh.
OyVey!!
You're gonna need a roof rake, plastic less change of putting holes in tarp...
...and something to push up from inside the drain the melt water off the tarps.
Hang in there!

***UPDATE****

It looks like the sale has fallen through - due to tight money and extra overtime, the buyers don't have time to dismantle the pens and don't have the money they thought they would have, so it seems.

Therefore, these pens will go on auction in the BYC - buy-sell-trade.

In anticipation of the sale, we started to dismantle, and have taken down the Hardware Cloth Skirting around the exteriors and interiors and attached to some doors. (Some doors never had Hardware Cloth attached.) -- Also to give a jump start to the buyers who I thought were going to show up the next day, I removed roof tarps. Amazing how those green tarps are still in very good shape. Other tarps faced more sun, and have been replaced a number of times with silver tarps from Wal*Mart. Readily available.

Here's the state of the pens as of today.
P1070856.JPG

P1070857.JPG

P1070858.JPG

These are the rolls of hardware cloth. Taking them off was really time consuming because they were perfectly attached with zillions of zip ties. The guy who originally did it was so thorough and talented!! It was over 2-hours to clip and remove all the zip ties. Some hardware cloth remains to be removed around the last 10 x 20 pen, because there were chickens still there at that time. Now they have been rehomed.
P1070859.JPG

These are uncut -chainlink fence horizontal poles. I was going to put them over the "courtyard" part of the pens. They would probably need to be trimmed. And was going to stretch bird netting over the 10 x 20 courtyard to deter hawks. I did have a hawk enter pens via the courtyard at one time and kill a hen. Never installed the barrier. Poles and bird netting go to the buyer.
It's a pretty big job to dismantle -- but value for the work.
Look at buy-sell-trade -- as soon as I get it posted -

I'm thinking everything could probably fit into a you-haul truck. Another option, I do have someone who has a big flat-bed trailer....but I"m not sure how many panels (stacked how high) could safely travel, buyer would have to make arrangements with him, or with their own hauler.

Let me know if any questions if you have interest in being the buyer. I think I will start bidding at $1,000 for lock stock and barrel.

OH-- I'm located in Woodville. About 50-minutes north of Beaumont TX and about 45 minutes South of Lufkin. About an hour and 15 minutes north and east of Houston airport.
:frow

Back
Top Bottom