Chain link Panels for chicken runs - coop set up & Ideas

Thanks guys. Maybe my post was a little misleading. Shockingly the buyer's brother-in-law died after a pit bull attack. As a result their life is kind of in turmoil at the moment.

Here we are all hale and hearty.
Oh my.
Poor things.

Thanks guys. Maybe my post was a little misleading. Shockingly the buyer's brother-in-law died after a pit bull attack. As a result their life is kind of in turmoil at the moment.

Here we are all hale and hearty.
Glad y'all are OK.
Crazy!...was it in the news?(skeptic that I am)

In this thread you can see the evolution and growth of a chicken operation.

The very start was 7 panels that were given to me by a man who once used them as housing for his daughter's rabbit.

Over the years, additions, configuration ideas, things learned...and the evolution of the chicken pens resulted in what has been a very useful and for the most part safe and cool environment for my chickens.
Here's one picture:

ahhh to travel back in time, two simple 10x10 pens with roofs, and Snap N lock chicken houses safely tucked inside. That was the 2014 set up.
Even prior to that the panels were located on a ranch in the Texas Hill country -- not the Pineywoods where they are now.
Here is the very first setup. You will instantly notice there are no roofs:

====================================================
First point: 10' long by 6' tall panels are bolted together using a wrench. the panels are fairly easy to transport,
Second point: it's essential to have a 'roof' over the top. A). Chickens are kept in, B). Predators are kept out, and C). most important in this climate, shade is always available to the chickens as well as protection from rain for the feed.

In the Pineywoods set up -- we placed the pens in the area of the backyard that had the best grass. It seems the best grass was there because a giant Magnolia tree provided afternoon shade. In the hottest weather the shade of the tree, even on the tarp roofs is a factor in the temperatures that the chicksens face and hence their survival.
How did you roof the pen? We are using 10’ chain link panels. 2 panels on 3 sides and one with the gate on 4th side so pretty large area we need to roof. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom