~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

I'll be pulling the final turkeys out the incubator later tonight.

As I was gathering eggs this morning, I noticed I now have a broody chicken hen. So chick season is still not over yet. I'll be setting a very few eggs tomorrow in case the broody has bad results.

A question for turkey owners. I had 2 Turkey hens go broody. I gave them eggs, a couple hatched, and I pulled the poults. How long till they start laying again.

So disappointed :/ this morning, when I woke up and my Temps were 95 again, I still had 4 of 6 turkeys eggs moving around in their shells. Well, there was a power outage today for a good 2 hours and my Temps dropped down to 85. I guess it was just too much. I checked them tonight because I was worried and sure enough, I only have 2 left. Both are pipped and I'm praying they hatch (just heard a peep from the hatcher). But the other 4 are total losses. They were completely developed too :( I have more turkey eggs that will go into lockdown on Friday but these were the ones that I was super excited for. Please send good thoughts my way for these 2 to hatch.

So disappointed
hmm.png
this morning, when I woke up and my Temps were 95 again, I still had 4 of 6 turkeys eggs moving around in their shells. Well, there was a power outage today for a good 2 hours and my Temps dropped down to 85. I guess it was just too much. I checked them tonight because I was worried and sure enough, I only have 2 left. Both are pipped and I'm praying they hatch (just heard a peep from the hatcher). But the other 4 are total losses. They were completely developed too
sad.png
I have more turkey eggs that will go into lockdown on Friday but these were the ones that I was super excited for. Please send good thoughts my way for these 2 to hatch.

Did you crack those out that you thought failed? If not, I'd put them back in to see if they were just at rest.

Best of luck with the two pippers!

Did you crack those out that you thought failed?  If not, I'd put them back in to see if they were just at rest.

Best of luck with the two pippers!

I did. I opened a small hole through each shell, in the air pocket, after candeling really good. I checked for movement before I went any further. I nudged them to see if they would move at all. They were all gone. I'm just hoping my Temps stay stable tonight and these last two make it. Thanks for the luck!

I'll be pulling the final turkeys out the incubator later tonight.

As I was gathering eggs this morning, I noticed I now have a broody chicken hen. So chick season is still not over yet. I'll be setting a very few eggs tomorrow in case the broody has bad results.

A question for turkey owners. I had 2 Turkey hens go broody. I gave them eggs, a couple hatched, and I pulled the poults. How long till they start laying again.

Don't know what's 'normal' in that circumstance, but last year the second attempt after hatching (and while brooding her own poults free-ranging) was about four to five weeks later, and in nest losses to dog attacks, ten days to two weeks to lay again. ,

So disappointed
hmm.png
this morning, when I woke up and my Temps were 95 again, I still had 4 of 6 turkeys eggs moving around in their shells. Well, there was a power outage today for a good 2 hours and my Temps dropped down to 85. I guess it was just too much. I checked them tonight because I was worried and sure enough, I only have 2 left. Both are pipped and I'm praying they hatch (just heard a peep from the hatcher). But the other 4 are total losses. They were completely developed too
sad.png
I have more turkey eggs that will go into lockdown on Friday but these were the ones that I was super excited for. Please send good thoughts my way for these 2 to hatch.
That's sad news, sorry you lost them. What type of incubator do you use?

I will keep my fingers crossed for the 2 that are still showing movement
fl.gif

That's sad news, sorry you lost them. What type of incubator do you use?

I will keep my fingers crossed for the 2 that are still showing movement :fl

thank you. Both still look good this morning. One is zipping, the other is still absorbing. I use a hova bator with a turner for most of the incubation and it runs great and keeps a good steady temp. For hatching, I have a little giant. I know they're not that great but in the past, it has worked great as just a hatcher. Of course, now it just doesn't want to cooperate. If I didn't have staggered sets in the hova bator right now, I'd be hatching in it.

ETA: the two that I got from you that developed are still looking good and are due to lockdown tomorrow. I may take them out of the turner and lock them down in the hova bator and switch them over to the little giant once I see a pip

Last edited:
thank you. Both still look good this morning. One is zipping, the other is still absorbing. I use a hova bator with a turner for most of the incubation and it runs great and keeps a good steady temp. For hatching, I have a little giant. I know they're not that great but in the past, it has worked great as just a hatcher. Of course, now it just doesn't want to cooperate. If I didn't have staggered sets in the hova bator right now, I'd be hatching in it.

ETA: the two that I got from you that developed are still looking good and are due to lockdown tomorrow. I may take them out of the turner and lock them down in the hova bator and switch them over to the little giant once I see a pip

I'm having the same problem with the LG. Last year it worked great as a hatcher. This year the temps are all over. Usually swinging between 95 and 102+.

No chicks for me for this hatch.
sad.png
The two Red Orpington eggs that made it to lockdown never pipped. I took them out last night, after candling. One looked like it had quit late, the other was fully developed but never pipped through the membrane into the air pocket. So sad!
hit.gif
But I just put another 11 Red Orpington eggs in the incubator this morning, so praying for a better hatch from these!
fl.gif

The Midget White Turkeys are in their 3rd week of incubation - I have 17 left that look good so far.
thumbsup.gif
They are due to hatch on the 18th.

Congrats to those who have new chicks and poults!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom