Your 2024 Garden

Pics
The largest plot for the canning and freezing supply of beans, peas, okra, tomatoes, and sweet corn if totally ready for planting as of noon today. Maybe all except for the sweet corn will be planted before dark today. I need to make a little tool to make the planting of every thing but the Lima Beans before I start planting that will save a lot of seed and will save a lot of thinning not to mention back bending.

Additional 16x10 section in today. This will most likely hold my flower herbs and not sure what else
IMG_20240426_193529606.jpg

View attachment 3812392I went out about 9:00 this morning, pruning shears and garden knife in hand. About three hours later, all the beds in the front yard have been weeded, small trees, honeysuckle, Virginia Creeper, and 😱 poison ivy removed as best as I can. I pruned all the dead and dying wood on the gardenia, and took off last year's dead blooms from the hydrangeas. That's mostly sedum with some daffodils and Stella d'Oro lilies between the shrubs.

These iris haven't bloomed in 15 years. I'm moving them to sunnier locations.
View attachment 3812394

I'm going to have a quick bite to eat and then I'll be heading back out.
Some of the iris went here:
IMG_20240426_165852476_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg

And some went here:
IMG_20240426_175406409.jpg

You can see small slips of monarda just to the right of the irises.

And vinca, for hummingbirds and butterflies.
IMG_20240426_160947928~2.jpg

I hope I didn't miss anything tonight while picking up supplies to put together an irrigation system for the gardens to run off of our deep well. I'll still be changing valves manually but for now that is all I have to have. It has gotten powder dry so quick after the 6" rain not long back. Would have been nice to have gotten and inch a week instead of 2 days.

Yesterday I started working on the rows for peppers and purple hull peas. I have cayenne and bell pepper plants I started from seed. They are ready to be planted.

My yellow squash, butterbeans, green beans and a few slicing cucumbers have sprouted. The zucchini has not. It is supposed to get hot this coming week so hopeful for zucchini sprouts soon.

@LTAY1946 I use a 3 1/2 ft x 2 inch piece of pvc pipe to plant all my beans and peas. No bending! Works great and the seed goes exactly where you want it.

Yesterday I started working on the rows for peppers and purple hull peas. I have cayenne and bell pepper plants I started from seed. They are ready to be planted.

My yellow squash, butterbeans, green beans and a few slicing cucumbers have sprouted. The zucchini has not. It is supposed to get hot this coming week so hopeful for zucchini sprouts soon.

@LTAY1946 I use a 3 1/2 ft x 2 inch piece of pvc pipe to plant all my beans and peas. No bending! Works great and the seed goes exactly where you want it.
I do the same with only a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe. Less weight to carry and that's what I had a scrap of. About the same length. If I could just plant carrots through it. Zipper cream peas planting today. Purple hulls going in another plot as soon as I get the one I'm working on now done. Black eyes there too. High of only 81° today so we should get a lot done today. There is a company that makes PVC seeders and planters. I'll dig up the links tonight to share. They may save someone's back. Maybe mine. :)

I did NOT get my annuals planted.

DH and I got a late start, went to the farmers' market, then drove to the post office to mail packages, so I didn't get outside until after noon.

I cleaned up the yard (dog), and decided to just mow around the coop so I could dump the clippings inside. Then I mowed the back corner of the property, then the back near the fence, around the gardens...you get the idea. I also took my hedge clippers and cleared all the vines that were growing on the back fence, and also trimmed a mulberry tree so we didn't have to duck under its branches. Then I mowed around the ponds, and where we park next to the driveway.

And then I watered.

I'm plumb wore out.

I wanted to get "some stuff off the porch." Among the stuff: 16 (!) bags of coffee grounds from Starbucks. (They give them away.) So they went around various plants in the garden.

I have been putting coffee grounds around the blueberry bushes for a couple years. The soil there has gone from sand to dark and rich looking. I've also been putting lots of oak leaves and last year white pine needles around them.

I wish all my garden dirt looked like the dirt around the blueberry bushes. Maybe a lot of the color is from the coffee grounds, but I don't think all of it is.

We finally finished planting all of the sweet potatoes, pepper, and eggplant. Still a lot of things to plant from seed including the sweet corn patch for canning and freezing. Thanks to a couple of hens that were out getting some free time to roam around they uncovered the state of the Yukon Gold Irish potatoes. Golf ball size now. I had to cover them back up after the girls where through bathing in the loose soil. Water is running now on the sweet corn. Onions and blackberries got a good drink earlier. I finally got a good cold glass of iced tea and something to eat after chickens and plants got fed and watered.

Back
Top Bottom