All about garden herbs

Pics
Cilantro leaves are only good until the plant bolts (grows a flower stalk) in hot weather. Then the leaves change shape and lose their flavor. At that point, you can consider it dead or wait to collect the seeds which can be ground as a spice. (aka: coriander).

Lucky... I found out about yarrow last year and am just growing some for the first time. It is an excellent medicinal herb with a number of useful benefits.
I planted my cilantro this year from seeds I saved last year. When I tested the germination this winter, it was not good at all. So, when I planted the seeds a few weeks back, I used a lot of seeds. It wouldn't be surprising if nothing came up.

However, I just discovered a baby cilantro plant JUST outside of my herb bed. I'm trying to decide whether to try transplanting it (because it's still so young) into the cilantro area, or whether to just leave it where it is and do my best not to trample it. I'm leaning towards leaving it where it is.

Yarrow is extremely useful for a person who is clumsy when they haven't had enough water (aka me). It stops bleeding so very quickly!

Cilantro leaves are only good until the plant bolts (grows a flower stalk) in hot weather. Then the leaves change shape and lose their flavor. At that point, you can consider it dead or wait to collect the seeds which can be ground as a spice. (aka: coriander).

Lucky... I found out about yarrow last year and am just growing some for the first time. It is an excellent medicinal herb with a number of useful benefits.
I started growing regular yarrow last year. It's still doing well and has actually spread via seed dispersion to my EWO bed next door to the yarrow bed. I also seeded 2 new yarrow beds (Fruitbowl and Love Parade from Bakers). Neither has been successful.

However I felt just as excited when I discovered a small patch of wild purslane near my barn... 😂

I started growing regular yarrow last year. It's still doing well and has actually spread via seed dispersion to my EWO bed next door to the yarrow bed. I also seeded 2 new yarrow beds (Fruitbowl and Love Parade from Bakers). Neither has been successful.

However I felt just as excited when I discovered a small patch of wild purslane near my barn... 😂
Sometimes, you have to grow something from seeds you've bought before you recognize it in the wild! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom