All about garden herbs

Ideally I wanted to have TWO herb gardens. yes two isolated seperate gardens.

one food and spices, the other medicinal.

Ive been doing a bit of studying and there are plants that server several medicinal purposes. one does blood pressure reduction, some to help with thyroid, some stress relievers, others pain relievers, some they claim to be super high in anti oxidants, anti cancer, some for menstrual regulation, some laxative, some sedatives, some for digestive health, some for toothache (it actually works !!) sor throat...etc etc. the list goes on.

When you think of it, the Indians have used this stuff for hundreds of years, as did your great great x3 parents etc. Big pharma just came along and said, well, stop teaching them that knowledge, lets put it in a pill and give it to them so we can make billions off them.

I wanted to have my two unique totes for food enhancements, and health enhancements. But as discussed perviously, those plans went to the wayside, along with the rest of my life :/

Hopefully as winter rolls through, I can get a bit of a 'quiet time' to sit down and re plan my goals and what I want to do with the garden, and try to make some sort of scheduling or something to maybe at least on paper... try to help make more of this stuff happen better.

Aaron
So many gardens... LOL
I have a food garden, then I planned to enlarge it... Then I decided to make a separate lot for flax/wheat/ etc. Then the wife discovered herbal medicines... Now, I need to make ANOTHER garden. I think I will have over 5000 sq ft of "garden" by the time summer hits.

I normally and continuing to grow
Basil- sweet Italian, genomes, Purple, Cardinal, Thai.
Oregano, broad leaf sage, English Thyme, cilantro, chocolate mint, flat and curley parsley, Dill, lavender, chamolmile

New that I'm growing this year....
Fennel, marigold mint, lemon mint, fenugreek, chervil, lemon mint, tarragon, summer savory, echinacea, catnip, borage
Basil- lettuce leaf, lemon

Last spring I dumped an entire seed packet of lemongrass into a tire bed. It grew this giant pampas-grass-like swell of grass. Then we got a freak polar vortex over the winter (-20 below) which killed off pretty much everything. The lemongrass turned dead brown. This weekend I finally got around to clearing out the dead grass to make way for spring planting. I was amazed that the dead grass smelled lemony fresh and wonderful. I ended up putting a bunch of it in the coop and goat house rather than in the compost.

Already have my purple ball and cardinal basil started as seedlings!

I also grow:

English Thyme - for drying and using for cooking year round
Rosemary - similar to thyme
Agastache (several kinds, most I can't recall) - for tea
Hyssop - for tea
German Chamomile - tea
Dill - for pickling and salads
Beebalm (Spierlarten and Spotted) - for tea
Oregano - for drying

A lot of the herbs I grow are in a large pollinator garden that I let go wild. The basil is usually paired beside tomato plants. I like to keep the rosemary, dill, and thyme up on my deck for easy access for cooking during the summer.

I planted sorrel a few years ago and quickly realized there was a very small window before the leaves got too big and were way too sour. I was going to dig it up, then realized the chickens go crazy for it even when it's at its most sour. I keep it just for them.

Late to this thread. Tons of parsley for the chickens. Yarrow, cilantro, basil (genovese), basil (thia), lemon grass, huge patch of mint for the chickens, oregano sumer savory dill (sometimes tyme) lemon balm I'm sure I'm missing somethings

Attachments

• 20230531_105754.jpg
    20230531_105754.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 5
How is everyone's herb garden coming along?

My lemon balm is going CRAZY. It's an enormous bush right now. I'm not sure what to do with it... 😂

Parsley, Pineapple mint, spearmint, Oregano, Sesame, Flax, and Lemon Thyme are all doing well. Very healthy.

The Basil, Chamomile, Dill, and Sage are struggling to survive.

The Black Cumin (Black Seed), English Thyme, and Chives never germinated at all.

Back
Top Bottom