Your 2024 Garden

One thing more I've got to add to the irrigation system is an economical timer that will open and close 24 volt valves that use solenoids. That makes it easy to water at night while I sleep.
That's going to be a nice setup. My garden is small enough that I'll be able to water by hand, but an irrigation system would be nice too.

That's going to be a nice setup. My garden is small enough that I'll be able to water by hand, but an irrigation system would be nice too.
In my younger days I was a certified irrigation contractor and now I'm benefiting from the knowledge I gained then. I'd rather not be out walking around with just a head light on moving sprinkler heads or changing manual valves on drip lines at 3 in the morning.

I need to finish up the heavy work and get the transplants in the ground this weekend!
Screenshot_20240425-070950-012.png

⬆️⬆️⬆️ :eek:

In my younger days I was a certified irrigation contractor and now I'm benefiting from the knowledge I gained then. I'd rather not be out walking around with just a head light on moving sprinkler heads or changing manual valves on drip lines at 3 in the morning.
I've been getting in the habit to water the garden in the morning when I go out to pick up the eggs. Seems to be a good routine to get into.

Have you figured out how to work a timer into your 24 volt system?

I've been getting in the habit to water the garden in the morning when I go out to pick up the eggs. Seems to be a good routine to get into.

Have you figured out how to work a timer into your 24 volt system?
I know how. It's just which one to use. I know I want to use Hardie 3/4" valves for their reliability. I have 115 ac out there where the big garden is along with the middle sized one. The other one has no way to run off of the same controller. It may not be cost effective to run 24v wires to the area where they would need to be off of a second controller. It's going to be mostly drip out there and I can do that early morning and late afternoon. There are blackberry and blueberry plants there that need drip as well as the sweet potatoes. I can use spray heads in the middles of the sweet corn and beans and peas. I can water over that area in 2 evenings. I'll just have to start a day sooner. There is enough clay in the soil there water is well retained longer than just a sandy loam like the other two patches.

I got a great night of sleep and rest and today and tomorrow look to be perfect for finishing up planting all of the spring garden. We will be planting more in June-Sept at least for fall and winter crops. By Monday hopefully all the irrigation piping will be in place for all of the garden plots.

IMG_20240426_121600330_HDR.jpg
I went out about 9:00 this morning, pruning shears and garden knife in hand. About three hours later, all the beds in the front yard have been weeded, small trees, honeysuckle, Virginia Creeper, and 😱 poison ivy removed as best as I can. I pruned all the dead and dying wood on the gardenia, and took off last year's dead blooms from the hydrangeas. That's mostly sedum with some daffodils and Stella d'Oro lilies between the shrubs.

These iris haven't bloomed in 15 years. I'm moving them to sunnier locations.
IMG_20240426_121459145~2.jpg

I'm going to have a quick bite to eat and then I'll be heading back out.

Back
Top Bottom