What color are your Cornish Crosses legs?? McMurray failed! Rant...

Quote:
That's what I was thinking- we are getting freezing temps every night in Michigan, and I have 3 week olds that are doing fine. Better to do a late batch than eat store birds all winter and spring!

Brunty_Farms wrote:
"Get some from www.meyerhatchery.com they are really cheap right now and you can have them processed by the first week of December. "

Hi All,
I am the friend that ordered the chicks with Shelly. All I can say is what a disappointment..............
sad.png
At this point I don't think we want to hassel with trying to order more and keep them warm etc until Dec. It is much easier to care for them in the spring or fall. I am sure we will hesitate to ever order from the MM again and I do not think they did right by us at all. At least they did say they would refund us on the purchase price but for goodness sakes, all the feed we have put into these ugly white roos.........
barnie.gif

You ordered the biggest fattest meat birds and what they sent you was the skinniest bag a bones. You invested time and resourses.

And your telling me the best they can do is refund the actual cost of the chicks?

Bologna!
The cost of the chicks is the smallest part of the investment. Adds up to nothing when compared to efforts expended.

If I were MM I would be working real hard to not lose the original buyer as a customer and possibly every one they tell. One thread on an internet forum like this can reach hundreds or thousands of potential customers. In their place I would be hoping this thread would read-- Murry McMurry messed up but made it right.

How?
Full refund of the cost of chicks including all shipping. Replacement at no cost at the time of customer's request. Coupons for reduced feed cost and goods such as vitamins, feeders, waterers, whatever. Phone calls to the customer expressing apology and willingness to make amends. Phone calls when replacement chicks arrive to make sure all is well. Frankly in a case such as this I would expend considerable energy to make it right.

No business can survive and thrive when treating their customers as the problem verses treating them as an asset.

Quote:
Unfortunately, this attitude is prevalent when dealing with livestock, I have found. I recently waited months for a certain breed of geese. When I finally got the geese I found out within a month that one goose was the wrong breed. When I tried to speak to the folks that sold me the wrong goose they basically told me it was my fault for grabbing the wrong goose from the bunch. The geese all looked very similar and if I had been aware there was more than one breed in the box I was grabbing from I may have looked closer and realized that one was different from the others, but the box was labeled as having just African geese. The sellers became quite rude to me when I pointed out the mistake and I have refused to use them since for any of my needs. They lost a lot of business. I used them for all my feed needs, medical supplies, new plants, etc. and if they had just been the slightest bit contrite about the incident I would have just shrugged it off and said, "It happens. Oh well." But because of the lip I got from them, I am boycotting them and telling every farmer I know what they pulled.

I understand.... I only ordered from McMurrary once. It was my first order and I think I was like 14? It's been almost 10 years and I never ordered from them again.

In my opinion they are way too overpriced. You can find chicks a lot better quality if your willing to spend that much money on chickens.

What did you in? For me I ordered from them because of the fancy catalog!
roll.png

Actually, at the time they had the best prices, including shipping. But, I forgot to mention my "free rare chick" ended up being a red star.
barnie.gif
That should have told us something right there!
smack.gif
At least it was a pullet, and not a roo!
roll.png

We compared prices including shipping to our area from Ideal, Meyer, and McMurray. Next time we'll order from Ideal.

Shelly

Quote:
Well, to be fair, McMurray is usually a good hatchery in my opinion. I had one leghorn in with my batch of Cornish X's one time. They gave me credit for that one, plus the three birds that died in the first week. The only reason I don't buy birds from them is that I buy from a hatchery in my own state to minimize travel time (Townline.)

Fact is that most of the broiler chickens in the world have white leg pigmentation that goes along with their white skin. But there are very few of them in the US. Most of the broiler chickens in Europe are white skinned as that is what the market has expected for centuries. Look at the old meat fowl breeds of France and England; Dorkings, Sussex, Orpingtons, Houdans, Faverolles etc are all white skinned. Even Orloffs. That is what they "grew up with." The notable exception is the Cornish.

What bothers me about all the information offerd above is that I know of no commercial strains of Leghorns that have anything but yellow leg color. Further a 3 lb Leghorn at 6 weeks of age is way beyond the size they are expected to be.

Back
Top Bottom