What color are your Cornish Crosses legs?? McMurray failed! Rant...

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
My friend and I ordered some Broilers from one of the hatcheries, and they just aren't as big as we think they should be. Some are half the size of the others, and the big ones aren't that big. And today, I noticed their legs aren't yellow...they're white.
hu.gif
If they are a Cornish/Rock hybrid, both of those have yellow legs, shouldn't the chicks have yellow legs, also? They are 5 weeks old and nowhere near big enough to eat. They are on Broiler feed free choice during the day with access to chopped corn and scratch as treats.

We are going to contact the hatcher tomorrow and see what is going on. Does anyone have any ideas?? Without saying the name of the hatchery, let's just say it's one of the major ones, those of you that have the broilers right now, what color are their legs??

Thanks!

Shelly

Last edited:
i wounder why that is. mine dont have dark yellow but they are yellow i would say.

have you ever had welps birds before? did they have the same kind of colored legs??

sam

Can you post some pictures and their average weight along with their hatch date?

Mine have always come from Townline Hatcheries here in SW Michigan and they have always had yellow legs and feet.

It has been my experience white, cream or pale yellow legged birds have almost white skin. Cornish X are famous for their yellow skin.

They come from a cobb cross.... not your typical ross 508 that most hatcheries carry.

Welp... and Meyers are two off of the top of my head that get cobb crosses in.

It's normal... not to worry.

We talked to the hatchery today, and we think there has been a mistake. We are sending them pictures and trying to decide what to do. The largest bird is maybe 3 pounds at almost 6 weeks. Is there a bantam broiler? These aren't any breed of chicken I recognize. I will post pics in a little bit.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom