Suburban Ohio 6x8 Scratch Coop

I had honestly thought about it, but I think I got a little better idea. Building my lights from the galvanized mason jar feeders, and using a pint jar over top the bulb. May even get that blue tint glass mason jar when we go swap meeting.

So got interior pretty well wrapped up minus nest boxes. Got seams caulked and inside painted. Roost is up (with poop board), windows are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth with trim screwed down over top to hold it from being pushed out. Chicks are happy to be out there. Just need to get fence up on the run and they will be able to go out there too. I have read it's good to leave them in coop for a few days so they learn that is home. They will be spending 2 weeks. Now for pictures.
Middle son helping nail up some trim.
PVC trial feeder. Had to add a 1" extension to opening where they eat. It's 24" long piece of 4" thin wall pipe to a 45 to a 90 with a piece of pipe making chickens reach in to get feed. No feed has been spilled and holds around 5 lbs of feed. Building more.
Wife looking in from back window taking a picture of me and one of our dogs.
Looking in from front towards back. Old school waterer until I figure out a different setup that won't freeze in winter.
Looking in from side door under roost towards other side leading towards run. The unpainted plywood in lower left will be there door to the outside world. I will also be able to keep the big window open in winter to help with air circulation. You can also see in lower right the feeder with the extension on the business end.

So I got the fence up for the run over the weekend. Chickens are out only during the day. Locked up at night. Still need to trim everything out. Used 2x3 fence. Fence staples at every other junction where wires cross. Going to screw boards over top and sandwich the fence. Finished the bucket waterer with horizontal nipples. Going to make a second for the run. Chickens took right to it. Still lots to do. Got to build partitions for laying boxes, lower doors, trim and paint. Need to also finish the fence in the garden and looking at covering the garden area with net so they can forage this fall. Would just let them out but they are not allowed to roam...

Back
Top Bottom