Suburban Ohio 6x8 Scratch Coop

Hmmm. Other picture didn't post. I'll try again.

So this weekend is going to be moving day for the chicks. I just need to get the coop doors built and hardware cloth on the windows. They are 8 weeks, and have outgrown their box so it's time. Probably going to keep them in there a few days and finish up their run. Then all that is left is trim work and landscaping which can be done with them in the coop and run.

So last night I got the drywall all hung up on the ceiling and first coat of paint on it. Just going to caulk the seams on the drywall. Took a few pictures. Going to build doors tomorrow and put hardware cloth on windows. The chicks will then be able to come out into the coop. Then from there I have to put wire up on the run. Going to use chicken wire on lower 24" of run with 4x2 field fence over that and rest of the run. Here are some more pictures. The batten strip being hung to give the board and batten look, shot of coop so far, the roost and poop board, and one of the kids.

So last night I got the drywall all hung up on the ceiling and first coat of paint on.

I'm surprised at your choice to use drywall. I would think that plywood sheeting would be a more practical choice. I don't know a whole bunch about construction but we stored some drywall in our garage and over time the humidity caused it to deteriorate and mold a bit on the edges that came in contact with the concrete. I hope the drywall works out for you but I think I'd have gone with plywood.

TalkALittle I definetly agree. I would have put plywood up as that was my original thought, but the drywall was free, 5/8" thick and the mold resistant type. Don't think it will pose a problem as its only on the ceiling, with plywood on the walls. If I start to see mold spots it will be coming down and plywood will be going up. Right now it's an extra $30 I can put toward better fence.

Back
Top Bottom