Coop Evolution - Nests Iteration 4 to Front Roll Away style

The egg box cover is two 5 1/2 inch by 7 foot panels; one of 3/4" pine the other of door skin (1/8" ply board); joined together with 3 hinges. I added a 1"x1" to one edge of 1/8" panel for rigidity, strength and hinge mount space. Currently "dry fit" in place and working well.

Artificial grass cut & fit in place "perfectly"; every egg rolling under entrance to lowest point; no broken eggs thus far.

Egg box 1.jpg Egg box 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing, I've always loved your coop!! Glad this is working out, it's a great design. Question about the artificial grass: Do they peck at it, try to eat it? Mine are so in love with purple insulation and anything nonedible that I wonder how they'd react to the grass. I just made new nest boxes and I'd really like to try it.....

Thank you so much for sharing, I've always loved your coop!! Glad this is working out, it's a great design. Question about the artificial grass: Do they peck at it, try to eat it? Mine are so in love with purple insulation and anything nonedible that I wonder how they'd react to the grass. I just made new nest boxes and I'd really like to try it.....
Thank you.

This project evolved against the issues I had. I re-used the front red panel (my copy of @aart 's nest box - thank you) from my iteration 2, will extend it by 32" with 3 more round holes.

Yes there is some pecking, the same as they peck at the straw I previously used. I do not have enough experience to know if they will tear it apart and ingest, it is tough stuff but I will keep my eyes open.

It does not really show in the pictures but the way I built the roll out I can slide the rug in/out as one piece easily. Should encourage keeping it clean.

Plus 3 nest holes...

I continue to cut/fit pieces and sections and "dry fit" together. Below the front extension piece for 3 more nests, total of 7.

Also building nest dividers: will attach to back wall using two narrow 7' boards, horizontally top and bottom, with slots cut vertically; final assembly these will be attached before the red front pieces and front egg box.

On a happy note. In the past 3 days I have had about 25 eggs all laid left side of roll away - none broken, dented or eaten!

Plus 3 nest holes... 1.jpg Plus 3 nest holes... 3.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a few instances of eggs being eaten while in the new nests. I also have two pullets that sleep in the new nests and their waste will stop the egg from rolling.

I am moving these two from nests to roosts each evening until they are no longer in the nests.

Looking good!
Are they working well?
Yes, would recommend to anyone with egg eaters. They ladies carry trash in so weekly maintenance probably a good idea.

The hens now only use the new nests; only one divider but they spread out evenly; 95%+ eggs roll to the front; mornings have 5-7 nests in use; production increasing (probably longer light). I still get several eggs eaten each week.

I had two nest sleepers, now down to one and I may have broken her as well. Waste can interfere with the roll.

I need to identify which hens are culprits, will get a camera (inside the nests?).

Back
Top Bottom