Did one drake kill the other?

Sunshineliz

Chirping
Jun 5, 2021
I had two drakes and that's it. No females. I hoped they'd get along well since they grew up together, but one started getting aggressive with the other recently and they just turned one year old. Well, the aggressive one has been trying to mount and mate the other, both in and out of the water. Late yesterday morning, I heard a scuffle and quacking outside. When I went out there was a LOT of feathers scattered around. I thought I was going to find a dead duck from a predator. But when I saw them, they looked ok. One was obviously scared and was missing feathers, but the other was fine. I took the one inside and noticed a small amount of blood. It took me quite a while to find the source of the blood. There was a small wound in the right side, near the tail, near the underside of the wing. He was favoring it when I filled the bathtub to see if he wanted a bath (I hadn't found the wound yet at that point.) I sprayed it with antibiotic spray and hoped for the best. At one point he vomited (a bunch of cicadas if that matters.) There was very little bleeding, and it stopped by evening. He seemed ok last night, but when I checked on him this morning he was dead.
My question is, was this likely a predator attack or more likely the other drake? The feathers missing were all right on his back near the base of his neck between his wings and no where near the wound. I heard no other noises except the ducks (and I've dealt with dog attacks before, they are loud and leave vicious wounds.) But I've never had a bird of prey attack before so I haven't ruled that out. My husband suggested the other drake could've "punctured" him while trying to mate. Is that possible? I have seen him pecking at that spot where he was missing feathers when he was trying to attack, and I've seen him grab at him near where the wound was too.
These two were pets and it really hurts my heart to think one might've killed the other. I'd already decided to rehome one and was working on that. I think I might still go through with giving the other away because I just don't want to deal with him anymore. I'll find someone selling adult females instead. I don't want any more drakes. (I've owned girls before and loved them very much, but got these two as straight run ducklings.)

Wouldn't he have been hurt in more than just that spot then?

Not necessarily. Are there eagles around? We don't know what kind of drakes, how big they are. If they are small breed, possibly a hawk attack. If you're still able to check the wound, look for any wee scratch near the puncture. A bird of prey could've missed their attack and only caught hold with 1 talon, which could've triggered the overnite death. I had what you had happen with a cat. A golden eagle was eyeing the yard and the vet said it was a bird of prey wound. Sorry for your loss. I decided against drakes and kept only hens, which is working out. Some love their drakes.

My limited experience with drakes is 3 I had last year. 1 became aggressive and lost his good home. I don't know if they kill each other in your circumstances.

Not necessarily. Are there eagles around? We don't know what kind of drakes, how big they are. If they are small breed, possibly a hawk attack. If you're still able to check the wound, look for any wee scratch near the puncture. A bird of prey could've missed their attack and only caught hold with 1 talon, which could've triggered the overnite death. I had what you had happen with a cat. A golden eagle was eyeing the yard and the vet said it was a bird of prey wound. Sorry for your loss. I decided against drakes and kept only hens, which is working out. Some love their drakes.

My limited experience with drakes is 3 I had last year. 1 became aggressive and lost his good home. I don't know if they kill each other in your circumstances.
They're Khaki Campbells. I thought they'd be too big for a hawk, but maybe one tried anyway and failed.
I haven't seen anything recently, except for vultures but we see those all the time and they've never been a problem.

Last edited:
They're Khaki Campbells. I thought they'd be too big for a hawk, but maybe one tried anyway and failed.
I haven't seen anything recently, except for vultures but we see those all the time and they've never been a problem.
If hawks are trying to feed babies they are more likely to try and go after something they might not otherwise. It is that time of year. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom