Ocellated Turkeys

clap.gif
goodpost.gif

WEll worth waiting for the pics to load on dial up!!

hide.gif
... Aren't they pretty?

-Kathy

I've been interested in ocellated turkeys for a fair while now, so any information you could share would be valued. I have a few questions.

How many females per male do you keep?

How many eggs per season, and how many clutches per year?

Are the females good mothers or do you have to artificially incubate them?

Thanks. Best wishes.

How many females per male do you keep? The most I've kept with a male is 3 females

How many eggs per season, and how many clutches per year? 15 to 30 eggs a year, usually only one clutch

Are the females good mothers or do you have to artificially incubate them? I've never had one sit before, I've tried leaving the eggs, but its so hot here that I'm uncomfortable doing that. I've hatched them with chickens, but mostly incubator and brooder raised.

Venice is about an hour north of me

They are very metallic colored, so sunlight, indirect sunlight and shade all give them a different look.

Thanks for the info. They do seem worthwhile, both for conservation purposes and if the numbers get high enough in future, as livestock. Looks like they've got a long road ahead of them though.

Best wishes.

How many females per male do you keep? The most I've kept with a male is 3 females

How many eggs per season, and how many clutches per year? 15 to 30 eggs a year, usually only one clutch

Are the females good mothers or do you have to artificially incubate them? I've never had one sit before, I've tried leaving the eggs, but its so hot here that I'm uncomfortable doing that. I've hatched them with chickens, but mostly incubator and brooder raised.

Venice is about an hour north of me

They are very metallic colored, so sunlight, indirect sunlight and shade all give them a different look.

I have family in Venice-- figured if I could ever afford to buy eggs worth the special trip by car and a plane via family to get these eggs. On my dream list.

I love these birds. I can't believe they are classed as the same species as 'normal' turkeys, as they are so different looking.

It also makes me really sad when I see people hunting them, as they are such beautiful birds, and their wild population is declining and tiny in comparison with the 'normal' turkeys.

Its almost like going out and shooting peacocks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom