Ocellated Turkeys

Pics

ocdman

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Hi, new to this site, but I noticed that in the past people have inquired about them. I've raised them for about 6 years now, so if anyone has any questions maybe I could help.

ocdman (ocd stands for ocellated as well as other things)

Last edited:
See the post right above yours.
The lack of people able to read is frightening. If you want something you've got to put in some work. Good lord. I knew more about these birds when I was 16 than the people on here asking the same questions, over and over, again.
Moira - Scream.gif

There are very few aviculturists (I'm not defining it, so look it up people) in the US that have these birds. Some zoos have flocks. Everyone I know that has worked with them talks about how beautiful they are but how fragile they are. Males are also colossal pricks. Think the personality of a gander, the spurs of a pheasant, and the size of a heritage breed turkey. Caring for them and collecting eggs is not fun.

For every Tom, Dick, and Harry that wants to know if you can eat them...yes, if you want to pay the $3000+ for a single bird and then kill it. As to what they eat? Not the flock raiser you're dumping on the ground for your domestic turkeys. These birds require very special care in secure aviaries where they can be protected from both disease and wild animals. It's upsetting to walk outside and find a coon has been in the chicken coop. I don't think there's a curse in Entish, Elvish, or the tongues of Men to accurately express what you'd feel if you discovered these birds dead in a pen.

Suppose you seriously want to obtain birds for the purpose of keeping them alive in US aviculture. In that case, I suggest you reach out to any of the known zoos that have them as well as breeders and ask every dumb question you can think of and retain every piece of information these people give you. And then, if you decide you still have the time, energy, and money to commit to this project, you can start trying to source birds. With small breeding populations in captivity, it is imperative that you maintain accurate breeding records and bloodlines.

No, no one is going to sell you fertile, hatching eggs. If you don't know why that is, then I suggest you continue researching the species. No one is going to sell you poults, either. No you can't free range them. But if you want to, I'll give you my CashApp, Zelle, or PayPal and you can just send me your $6000. I'll take much better care of it than you will.

Here is Barry Koffler's page on Ocellated Turkeys, with photos since people seem to like looking at them, but not being able to Google for themselves. He provides links to other sources on them. I supplied some of the photos. It's possible that he may know people still working with them. Garrie Landry and Mike Langerot may also be sources of information regarding people working with the species.

OccellatedTurkeyHead1.JPEG
OccellatedTurkeyHead2.JPEG

The lack of people able to read is frightening. If you want something you've got to put in some work. Good lord. I knew more about these birds when I was 16 than the people on here asking the same questions, over and over, again.
View attachment 3405354

There are very few aviculturists (I'm not defining it, so look it up people) in the US that have these birds. Some zoos have flocks. Everyone I know that has worked with them talks about how beautiful they are but how fragile they are. Males are also colossal pricks. Think the personality of a gander, the spurs of a pheasant, and the size of a heritage breed turkey. Caring for them and collecting eggs is not fun.

For every Tom, Dick, and Harry that wants to know if you can eat them...yes, if you want to pay the $3000+ for a single bird and then kill it. As to what they eat? Not the flock raiser you're dumping on the ground for your domestic turkeys. These birds require very special care in secure aviaries where they can be protected from both disease and wild animals. It's upsetting to walk outside and find a coon has been in the chicken coop. I don't think there's a curse in Entish, Elvish, or the tongues of Men to accurately express what you'd feel if you discovered these birds dead in a pen.

Suppose you seriously want to obtain birds for the purpose of keeping them alive in US aviculture. In that case, I suggest you reach out to any of the known zoos that have them as well as breeders and ask every dumb question you can think of and retain every piece of information these people give you. And then, if you decide you still have the time, energy, and money to commit to this project, you can start trying to source birds. With small breeding populations in captivity, it is imperative that you maintain accurate breeding records and bloodlines.

No, no one is going to sell you fertile, hatching eggs. If you don't know why that is, then I suggest you continue researching the species. No one is going to sell you poults, either. No you can't free range them. But if you want to, I'll give you my CashApp, Zelle, or PayPal and you can just send me your $6000. I'll take much better care of it than you will.

Here is Barry Koffler's page on Ocellated Turkeys, with photos since people seem to like looking at them, but not being able to Google for themselves. He provides links to other sources on them. I supplied some of the photos. It's possible that he may know people still working with them. Garrie Landry and Mike Langerot may also be sources of information regarding people working with the species.

OccellatedTurkeyHead1.JPEG
OccellatedTurkeyHead2.JPEG
Well said, Colt!!!!
I too get tired of repeating myself, on how to do research before even thinking of getting an animal or bird that is extremely hard to take care of and has special requirements for life.
I've had the chance of getting a breeding pair from a person living in Mexico, they come up here every fall to buy my birds. I'd love to have them but know I can't give them the best care, ie; huge climate controlled aviary. So, until I can, I'll just dream some more! ;)

Well said, Colt!!!!
I too get tired of repeating myself, on how to do research before even thinking of getting an animal or bird that is extremely hard to take care of and has special requirements for life.
I've had the chance of getting a breeding pair from a person living in Mexico, they come up here every fall to buy my birds. I'd love to have them but know I can't give them the best care, ie; huge climate controlled aviary. So, until I can, I'll just dream some more! ;)
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I've got Friday Fingers today, apparently. lol Been a long day at the office.

They are gorgeous birds. And I know it has to be frustrating for people with the knowledge and experience you and so few others have to constantly be hounded by people seeking information that a nurse could tell them, not their brain surgeon.

That being said, if you ever get a pair, we are all going to need pics. Like I might drive down and sit in the driveway with my birding binoculars just to watch them. lol

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I've got Friday Fingers today, apparently. lol Been a long day at the office.

They are gorgeous birds. And I know it has to be frustrating for people with the knowledge and experience you and so few others have to constantly be hounded by people seeking information that a nurse could tell them, not their brain surgeon.

That being said, if you ever get a pair, we are all going to need pics. Like I might drive down and sit in the driveway with my birding binoculars just to watch them. lol
Ok, that's a deal....you talk about 'drooling',, he showed me a pic of his aviaries and in 1 enclosure he had about 15 of'em! :eek: :drool

yes, you have to remember these are native to the Yucatan so they are in a tropical part of the world year round, 40 will kill them.
and just about any bacteria common in barn yard flocks, will kill them.

coccidian, will kill them, pretty much, need to be lock and key bio secure .
These are not turkeys like people are thinking. They are a tropical wild fowl, put all the domestic comparisons out of your head.
If you let these out, they will be gone, and I couldn't let a $3000 pr of birds free range anyway even if they did stay around.

If you have a yard of chickens, turkeys, guineas, stuff like this, don't even consider getting them. They carry enough disease that doesn't bother them at all, but will kill these birds within a week or two.
there's a reason only 3 people in all of the US have them, and I think of those, Virgil is the only who can get them to produce.

Don't want to be a downer, but it's just the truth about this species of fowl.... save them for the pros that deal with extreme care exotics....

This is a rare, extremely difficult to keep species of wild turkey from central America. Not a domestic breed.
Theyre $3000 a pair if you really want some, to this day, Virgil Bates is the only facility to commonly reproduce them.
Read all the articles and post.... They die like.flys in captivity if you arent 100% ready to cator to their every need.
Oh and much below 40-50° will kill them too.

Best to look at and leave to the exotic experts on these

This is a rare, extremely difficult to keep species of wild turkey from central America. Not a domestic breed.
Theyre $3000 a pair if you really want some, to this day, Virgil Bates is the only facility to commonly reproduce them.
Read all the articles and post.... They die like.flys in captivity if you arent 100% ready to cator to their every need.
Oh and much below 40-50° will kill them too.

Best to look at and leave to the exotic experts on these
Yes I could not agree with you more.

Virgil Bates is way down in Florida where he probably doesn't have to worry much about it getting too cold for his ocellateds. In the panhandle of Florida where I am at I would most certainly need indoor housing for winter. So most places will not be suitable for them without some good indoor housing for the winter.

I know most people are getting caught up in how beautiful they are and how unique they look compared to other turkeys, but don't let their looks blind you. Even if you have experience with turkeys these guys are a whole different ballgame and they are near threatened in the wild and they don't have nearly as wide a range as Meleagris gallopavo (Wild Turkey).

If you are still serious about owning them then read through this topic and contact Virgil Bates of the Florida Avian Conservancy. He is very nice and would probably be willing to give you some information about the Ocellateds. I would also contact the other people from the links that I gave on page 8 to see how their ocellateds are doing and if they have any tips as well. Pinola Preserve has done very well with many difficult to raise & breed birds and they have some of the best facilities so I have high hopes that they will be successful with the ocellateds they got last year, but you never know.

I am guessing the ocellateds would be more wild acting. Since they seem to be a jungle bird having a planted aviary would probably be very beneficial as well as having their aviary away from your other bird pens just to keep them safer from catching things from your other birds. They would need something to keep them busy even inside during the winter so that they do not get bored/stressed.

Back
Top Bottom