leg paralysis in a game hen...last chance-she needs help! **UPDATE**

If its central nerve system damage, its not going to get better no matter what kind of meds or vitamins or home remedies you give her. CNS nerves don't regenerate. Humans that suffer spinal cord damage and are paralyzed are going to be that way forever. Same with any other creature.

Sometimes peripheral nerves do regenerate, but after muscles have atrophied, its doubtful this hen will ever fully recover, or even really partially recover. That curled up foot is looking like dead nerves to me. It may sound cruel, but you could gently prick her foot with a pin and see if she reacts. If not, its definitely damaged nerves and I'd say its time to let her go....

So sorry for you to have to be the "miracle worker" when there may not have ever been anything anyone could do... and have that little girl be heartbroken.
((hugs)) to all 3 of you, including the hen.
sad.png

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

You could always try and make her a chair..... i've made them for a few of mine. If she still is eating and drinking and bright, then this may be a possibility. Handicapped chickens are chickens too after all.... hehe. Best Wishes.

Thanks everyone for the hugs and well wishes.....Chickenzoo thank you for the idea! "Handicapped chickens are chickens too" awwwww......lol
Hand-feeding her this AM, berries seem to be irresistable....

Did you find out anything about the moldy food possibility? I have posted about a similar problem with my almost-1-year-old Marans roo. He is perky, eating, drinking, etc., but feet are curled up. He scoots around on them a little bit, but basically just rests on his hocks....It has been raining like crazy around here, so moldy stuff is definitely a possibility for us. I've also found that Marans tend to "play in their water", so the coop seems to stay moist a lot, and I haven't been able to get it cleaned-out lately due to all the rain....Yikes!

The Chicken Health Handbook says moldy food as well and suggests a flush.

Epsom-salt flush-1 tp epsom salts in 1/2 cup water, poured or squirted down the bird's throat twice daily for 2-3 days or until the bird recovers

Molasses flush: 1 pint molasses per 5 gallons water, give no longer then 8 hours.

The book has a list of other possible things that could cause paralysis and it says Marek's is common.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow great minds must think alike!

I made a 'chair' very similar to yours for my Mom's minature Foxie dog that was two years old when she deveoloped polyradiculoneurtis (paralysis of the legs). I helped take the pressure off her legs. She went to physical therapy and had water therapy and she recovered!

She lived till tweleve years of age and everyone adored her.

I am not trying to hijack your thread I just wanted to add want agreat idea this is.

Good luck!

Okay, I looked at all the references for the moldy feed in The Chicken Health Handbook, but I couldn't find anything with symptoms related to paralysis (or curled feet, like my roo)...?? I suppose this could still be a problem. I didn't think about looking up "paralysis"--thanks for that thought. It still pretty much led me back to what I had already looked at....I'm hoping it's just a deficiency.

Thanks!
:) Briana

Hi folks,
Shared Acres, I just noticed your post! I am so grateful to you. I will try the flush in the morning! Did it say if that works if it has been months with the problem??
livin-green, are you going to try it with your roo??? Tell us what happens please...

Tonight I had 2 vets over to my house (friends of my friend) in order to pick up a dog, but while they were here I had them take a look at El Pico. They had absolutely NO idea what to do. *sigh* They did however notice that one of her legs (the worse curled one) is colder than the other. Probably not a good sign. Maybee just from leaning on it in a certain way, cutting off circulation? Perhaps the "chair" thing would take pressure off?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom