how to tell a duck has lice

No, I think that it's very important to have an adequate water supply if you're going to own waterfowl. Having water to clean themselves and to occupy themselves is critical to having healthy, happy ducks or geese. An inexpensive children's pool is adequate provided that it's cleaned & refilled frequently. Giving them access to a clean water supply and clean, dry shelter will certainly help, but no, it will not keep them from getting infected by lice. You will still need to spray them to kill lice and treat their coop & other contact areas as well. Doing periodic preventive treatments is also an important measure to ensure optimal health.
Unfortunately, lice and mites are easily transmitted by wildlife, rodents, birds and other poultry.
I just learned myself about how easy it can be to unknowingly bring home parasites and other contagions on your shoes and clothing after visiting the feed store, or friends & neighbors with poultry.
If you have a small flock, giving each bird a once over once a month is a good way to stay on top of problems and address concerns.

Back
Top Bottom