how to tell a duck has lice

ducks rule

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
the says all
goodpost.gif

No, I think that it's very important to have an adequate water supply if you're going to own waterfowl. Having water to clean themselves and to occupy themselves is critical to having healthy, happy ducks or geese. An inexpensive children's pool is adequate provided that it's cleaned & refilled frequently. Giving them access to a clean water supply and clean, dry shelter will certainly help, but no, it will not keep them from getting infected by lice. You will still need to spray them to kill lice and treat their coop & other contact areas as well. Doing periodic preventive treatments is also an important measure to ensure optimal health.
Unfortunately, lice and mites are easily transmitted by wildlife, rodents, birds and other poultry.
I just learned myself about how easy it can be to unknowingly bring home parasites and other contagions on your shoes and clothing after visiting the feed store, or friends & neighbors with poultry.
If you have a small flock, giving each bird a once over once a month is a good way to stay on top of problems and address concerns.

We adopted a duck several months ago that has lice. Wing lice. It looked like very small pencil lines that were moving. The duck is white, so they were very easily seen. I have no idea how I would have found them on a dark colored duck.

Ducks- when given the opportunity to bathe dont get lice with anywhere near the frequency that chickens do- but they can be found in the same areas- especially under the wings and around their bottom. Know what you are looking for first will help them be found on a dark duck as well. Google a picture first to remind yourself... they really are so tiny and can sometimes be easily missed. I worm and spray my ducks for lice twice a year just as a precaution.

I have on occasion bought ducks that have come with lice, and many people don't seem to know what to look for, being shocked when I tell them their birds have lice. On Calls, I hit them right away with a spritz of Adams Flea & Tick spray under each "armpit", then follow up about a week later (after they have had plenty of time to bathe in quarantine) by giving them 3-4 drops of Ivomec by mouth. Remember, these are birds for pet/exhibition purposes only, so what you would do if you wanted to eat the eggs or meat, I couldn't recommend.

Some exhibitors make a habit of spraying their birds at shows, and this should not cause the casual observer alarm: they are often spraying to prevent from bringing any "unwanted guests" home on their birds and not because they have a lice problem...usually!

how are suppose to tell if they have because we bought ares of a craigslist and can it be cantiges fors us humens and do you bath them and will they die if not treated

Back
Top Bottom