Ruffled Feathers

Beanfox

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2024
Hello friends! One of my Magpie ducks has had their feathers ruffled for at least a week now, probably closer to two weeks. Outside of that, he/she seems fine. I’m not sure on poop because we have 10 ducks so it’s hard to tell who did what. But all the poop I’ve seen in general seems normal.

I have noticed that one of the male ducks chases this Magpie around a lot. So could it be a stress thing?
They don’t seem to fight, at least not that I see and I haven’t noticed physical signs on either duck of fighting.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 9FE277BE-65D8-42AB-844E-BCD32350DE70.jpeg
    9FE277BE-65D8-42AB-844E-BCD32350DE70.jpeg
    723.1 KB · Views: 24
Hello friends! One of my Magpie ducks has had their feathers ruffled for at least a week now, probably closer to two weeks. Outside of that, he/she seems fine. I’m not sure on poop because we have 10 ducks so it’s hard to tell who did what. But all the poop I’ve seen in general seems normal.

I have noticed that one of the male ducks chases this Magpie around a lot. So could it be a stress thing?
They don’t seem to fight, at least not that I see and I haven’t noticed physical signs on either duck of fighting.

Any thoughts?
he looks pretty healthy..

Do you let your birds bathe in a pool?

Its either that he cannot find a good place to bathe or hes just molting.

My pekins used to look like that but after their moult they were shining like pearls.

A moulting ducks' diet should be a slightly more nutritional than its regular diet. Add in calcium and more protein. My ducks love eating leaves of kale and lettuce.

If this condition stays for too long then it could be another issues.

he looks pretty healthy..

Do you let your birds bathe in a pool?

Its either that he cannot find a good place to bathe or hes just molting.

My pekins used to look like that but after their moult they were shining like pearls.

A moulting ducks' diet should be a slightly more nutritional than its regular diet. Add in calcium and more protein. My ducks love eating leaves of kale and lettuce.

If this condition stays for too long then it could be another issues.
Thankyou for the reply!

They do have a kiddie pool we let them swim in, although only two have used it. I think the concept of getting into it is the struggle lol so we will have to figure out something easier. We let out of the garage as much as we can, but it’s been cold and windy here still & with them being 4-5 months old, we’re trying to wait until the winter is officially done before putting them outside. Should be within the next few weeks I hope. Then they will have access pretty much 24/7 to swimming.

I will see about more calcium and protein! I feel like they should be all set with protein since I give them meal worms daily (they go nuts over it), but maybe he isn’t get any/as much? I do give them lettuce as well but not as much as the worms.

I brought up the stress thought only because he’s the only one with feathers like that, plus with the other male chasing him around sometimes, I wasn’t sure.

Thankyou for the reply!

They do have a kiddie pool we let them swim in, although only two have used it. I think the concept of getting into it is the struggle lol so we will have to figure out something easier. We let out of the garage as much as we can, but it’s been cold and windy here still & with them being 4-5 months old, we’re trying to wait until the winter is officially done before putting them outside. Should be within the next few weeks I hope. Then they will have access pretty much 24/7 to swimming.

I will see about more calcium and protein! I feel like they should be all set with protein since I give them meal worms daily (they go nuts over it), but maybe he isn’t get any/as much? I do give them lettuce as well but not as much as the worms.

I brought up the stress thought only because he’s the only one with feathers like that, plus with the other male chasing him around sometimes, I wasn’t sure.
My ducks always chase each other around. If hes being targeted and chased 24/7 then thats an issue to resolve. But if hes just being chased a few times then its ok ig.

Stress indicators would be not eating, not drinking, etc.
If hes eating fine then its probably just moulting feathers. With ample food and sunlight, moulting goes well normally.

hes probably gonna look shining new right after this moult!

My ducks always chase each other around. If hes being targeted and chased 24/7 then thats an issue to resolve. But if hes just being chased a few times then its ok ig.

Stress indicators would be not eating, not drinking, etc.
If hes eating fine then its probably just moulting feathers. With ample food and sunlight, moulting goes well normally.

hes probably gonna look shining new right after this moult!
This makes me feel better! Thankyou

It’s definitely not a 24/7 thing, but it does seem like magpie is weary about being around the other male (blue Swedish). Blue Swedish has already started trying to mate, which seems extremely early to me but this is my first time with ducks so who knows.

He’s still drinking and I believe still eating. I’m not out with them all the time so I can’t say for certain, but I’d assume yes. He eats the treats I throw in there for them.

Thanks again! I care about them a lot and view them as my feathered children, so I tend to get all worried over seemingly nothing lol

Last edited:
This makes me feel better! Thankyou

It’s definitely not a 24/7 thing, but it does seem like magpie is weary about being around the other male (blue Swedish). Blue Swedish has already started trying to mate, which seems extremely early to me but this is my first time with ducks so who knows.

Thanks again! I care about them a lot and view them as my feathered children, so I tend to get all worried over seemingly nothing lol
same here, I get devastated if one of my birds go missing for a night or get ill.

But ducks are super hardy birds. So far I have never gotten a sick duck.
Given that they have food, water, and a warm place, they thrive nicely.

same here, I get devastated if one of my birds go missing for a night or get ill.

But ducks are super hardy birds. So far I have never gotten a sick duck.
Given that they have food, water, and a warm place, they thrive nicely.
Love to hear that! Fingers crossed I get the same luck!! 🤞🏼 (Obviously it’s not all luck, but it helps haha)

Back
Top Bottom