how to tell a duck has lice

ducks rule

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
the says all
goodpost.gif

We adopted a duck several months ago that has lice. Wing lice. It looked like very small pencil lines that were moving. The duck is white, so they were very easily seen. I have no idea how I would have found them on a dark colored duck.

Ducks- when given the opportunity to bathe dont get lice with anywhere near the frequency that chickens do- but they can be found in the same areas- especially under the wings and around their bottom. Know what you are looking for first will help them be found on a dark duck as well. Google a picture first to remind yourself... they really are so tiny and can sometimes be easily missed. I worm and spray my ducks for lice twice a year just as a precaution.

how are suppose to tell if they have because we bought ares of a craigslist and can it be cantiges fors us humens and do you bath them and will they die if not treated

I have on occasion bought ducks that have come with lice, and many people don't seem to know what to look for, being shocked when I tell them their birds have lice. On Calls, I hit them right away with a spritz of Adams Flea & Tick spray under each "armpit", then follow up about a week later (after they have had plenty of time to bathe in quarantine) by giving them 3-4 drops of Ivomec by mouth. Remember, these are birds for pet/exhibition purposes only, so what you would do if you wanted to eat the eggs or meat, I couldn't recommend.

Some exhibitors make a habit of spraying their birds at shows, and this should not cause the casual observer alarm: they are often spraying to prevent from bringing any "unwanted guests" home on their birds and not because they have a lice problem...usually!

Back
Top Bottom