That's a relief to hear your experience! Since I was kind of putting aside my fear of how scary it looked, because I have a lot of trust in my farrier, who's taken care of my horses hooves of various breeds, for close to 20 years.
So far, her crack has not persisted above the weird horizontal line, which is growing down and the growth above looks 100% healthy. I'm sure as it grows down, she'll need more frequent trims like your boy did, because every day when I clean it and squirt the dura-sole into the hole, it runs out the bottom quicker.

Appy hooves, do they really have a reputation as weak or flaky? Back in the day when I had an Appy, she had the best and strongest hooves ever. Not perfect, but less flaky than my OTTB and a more appropriate size and less upright than most QH.
His weren't weak or flaky. On the contrary, they were rock hard and strong. The issue was the pronounced vertical stripes typical of the breed. They camouflaged some minute surface cracks on the damaged hoof. Our farrier was concerned that they would deepen to full-blown cracks if they chipped or flaked, so we had to keep after them. Billy ended up with a few minor flakes between mini-cracks, but only at the very tip of his toe and not deep at all. We had a WONDERFUL farrier!

Huh, I was posting here last year and only just randomly started getting notifs again. Weird.
Did you recently get on and "catch up?" The way I understand it (which may not be correct,) if you ignore the thread for awhile, it stops sending you notifications. Once you catch up, the notifications start up again.

Hey horse people!

I wanted to share some pretty pictures of the new place Ginger and the other horses I work with are at now -- my barn completely moved this month! In some unfortunate circumstances, the farm we were at before was being rented, and in some...interesting family dynamics lol, it got sold by the owners.

We are now renting actually at a giant training facility that is largely used by people with race horses. It's 93 acres, much bigger than the 7 acres I've grown up with. Ginger is a little freaked out but starting to settle in. She got moved yesterday. It's been a wild adventure moving 18 horses over there (with our filly deciding it'd be fun to get stuck in the fence and gash open her knee the day before we moved the last of the horses)
:th, but it's looking soo promising, with lots of new opportunities!

Screenshot_20240326_211700_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20240326_185714.jpg
    20240326_185714.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240324_160128.jpg
    20240324_160128.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom