Dreaming of quail in my tiny urban backyard...eggs.....but meat....???!

So I’m a young teen too so I understand your love for quail. I have some and I LOVE them. Some things I’ve learned though:
-they aren’t cuddly
-they taste AMAZING, I love fresh quail meat
-they take a lot more time to tame down
-they fly very, very far
-they throw their food when they eat, they don’t peck it like chickens so they’re extremely messy

But I love mine more than anything. They are so fun and smart. They are hard to hold because they almost squirm out of your hands. If you get quail you will LOVE them but just make sure you can take care of them.
I've found an area in my backyard that could one day be a coop. It's the perfect environment, a tiny tree to shelter, against the fence, deep leaf litter floor....I hope in the next year or so I could look into getting some and this habitat would allow them to live their lives like they were wild and free, but sheltered from the elements and predators.

Nice to know they taste good! I mainly want them for eggs and entertainment, and occasionally meat.

This area would allow them to do want they like, make a mess, forage to their hearts content, and fly a little bit. I think 2m high would be sufficient, worst case I'll pad the roof.

As for cuddliness, that's ok, I have my chickens. While some of these quail will be 'pets, i think ill get enough enjohment out of just watching.

This habitat would probably cost ~$50+, mainly mesh since I already have free wood. I'll send photos of the area. It need a to be clear up. It could also work as a temporary chicken coop. It's about 3m ×2m. My current chicken coop is a bit too small for my flock, I plan on building a new one over the summer. The old would be PERFECT for the quail as a shelter!

Last edited:
I've found an area in my backyard that could one day be a coop. It's the perfect environment, a tiny tree to shelter, against the fence, deep leaf litter floor....I hope in the next year or so I could look into getting some and this habitat would allow them to live their lives like they were wild and free, but sheltered from the elements and predators.

Nice to know they taste good! I mainly want them for eggs and entertainment, and occasionally meat.

This area would allow them to do want they like, make a mess, forage to their hearts content, and fly a little bit. I think 2m high would be sufficient, worst case I'll pad the roof.

As for cuddliness, that's ok, I have my chickens. While some of these quail will be 'pets, i think ill get enough enjohment out of just watching.

This habitat would probably cost ~$50+, mainly mesh since I already have free wood. I'll send photos of the area. It need a to be clear up. It could also work as a temporary chicken coop. It's about 3m ×2m. My current chicken coop is a bit too small for my flock, I plan on building a new one over the summer. The old would be PERFECT for the quail as a shelter!
That sounds like a good idea.

It's got some leaf litter, but its a bit chunky. In the autumn I'll collect dead leaves and scrunch them up, perfect for nesting and foraging.

A question, what type of quail lay blue eggs? And can multiple breeds live together?
Celadon coturnix quail lay blue eggs. Yes multiple breeds can live together, but don’t mix button quail with coturnix.

It's got some leaf litter, but its a bit chunky. In the autumn I'll collect dead leaves and scrunch them up, perfect for nesting and foraging.

A question, what type of quail lay blue eggs? And can multiple breeds live together?
Not recommended to mix species. Coturnix and Bobwhite for example. However, the different color patterns of Coturnix are generally fine. You can get aggressive individuals that can be culled. Space & housing requirements should be liberal, if you want to try. More space general means less aggression.

Coturnix are recommended for beginners to get familiar with quail. Do your research, what ever you decide.

I'd toss the dead leaves in and let the quail scrunch away. Always fun chasing bugs through the leaves.

Depending on source of eggs, the blue eggs may not be stabilized. Meaning just because a hen hatches from a blue egg doesn't mean she will lay blue eggs. The rooster has to carry the blue egg gene also. Manage expectations. If you want blue eggs, you'll have to work at it.

Not recommended to mix species. Coturnix and Bobwhite for example. However, the different color patterns of Coturnix are generally fine. You can get aggressive individuals that can be culled. Space & housing requirements should be liberal, if you want to try. More space general means less aggression.

Coturnix are recommended for beginners to get familiar with quail. Do your research, what ever you decide.

I'd toss the dead leaves in and let the quail scrunch away. Always fun chasing bugs through the leaves.

Depending on source of eggs, the blue eggs may not be stabilized. Meaning just because a hen hatches from a blue egg doesn't mean she will lay blue eggs. The rooster has to carry the blue egg gene also. Manage expectations. If you want blue eggs, you'll have to work at it.
Not a huge deal, just though it would be cool!

Definitely coturnix! Do you recommend jumbo?

This habitat could technically house 60, but I'd probably start with about 12. Maybe oneday up to 20.

4h

I have gotten involved with our local 4h over the last few years. I would highly recommend looking for a mentor in your area that would be willing to teach you about the processing end of poultry.

this past year I have been adopted as a mentor for several young folks in my area wanting to learn about poultry.

After our local county fair myself and a few other adults hosted a "butcher day" to help our local poultry kids process their birds. I was amazed at some of the kids that showed up and were just enthralled with the entire process and a few that just wanted to drop their birds off and pick them up ready to eat... the kids that stayed to learn got a wonderful education we even got to see eggs in the development stages in one of the turkeys!

on the quail. we only just processed our first quail a couple weeks ago and i must say I am hooked! I loved the flavor! the eggs are small but we seem to have folks in the area that want them so??? we will continue to raise them!

Best of luck with your adventures!

Quail are great little birds! Going from raising these adorable little guys to butchering them is a MAJOR step though. You are likely to need support in going to that level. Not just because you’re young — it can be difficult for anybody.

What about starting with a really small group, maybe 4-5, for eggs and then deciding on meat later?

Quail are great little birds! Going from raising these adorable little guys to butchering them is a MAJOR step though. You are likely to need support in going to that level. Not just because you’re young — it can be difficult for anybody.

What about starting with a really small group, maybe 4-5, for eggs and then deciding on meat later?
I will start small! I'll just have to see how it goes. If I have too many males, and can't bring myself to kill them, I'll just have to sell them or give them yo someone who will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom