Help! My sweet chicken’s comb is shrinking and turning white!

BaarFamily

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2022
We have 6 chickens (one we just found is a rooster!) but I need help, literally overnight, one of my chickens combs went from bright red and healthy (even thought she might be a rooster?) to white! The comb is also shrinking and looks like a part is missing. I dont think it’s molting time but she/he may even be losing some feathers. I say he/she because the comb was bigger than the other girls but not as big as the roosters so I’ve been wondering if he is a she? I don’t know if that would cause pecking? Please help, these are our first chickens and we just love them and want to help them.

Didn’t know how to post this in my thread, but here’s a picture of Puffer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 23
I'm gonna take a guess on why the comb has shrunk, & is whitish.

Shrinkage happens when they stop laying for the season, or are molting. The white maybe dry skin, or possibly a fungal infection. Dry skin is most common during the winter months.

Shrinkage occasionally is a sign of a reproductive issue too, but not sure what's exactly going on. Didn't get much information regarding symptoms, if she has any.

Here’s a better picture! Aww! Thank you for letting me know what breed she is! We had no idea!

Attachments

• 7EA64B22-99D9-4BB6-A2EC-357CDED9EDDB.jpeg
    7EA64B22-99D9-4BB6-A2EC-357CDED9EDDB.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 22
Also, she’s been acting a little odd, she closes her eyes and shakes her head. Opens her eyes and then repeats…(about five times) then curls up. But she does this throughout the day. I can try to get a video of it?

Also, she’s been acting a little odd, she closes her eyes and shakes her head. Opens her eyes and then repeats…(about five times) then curls up. But she does this throughout the day. I can try to get a video of it?
Frostbite doesn't feel good. It could be a response to the sensation on her comb.

A video would help confirm, or may show something else is going on.

Back
Top Bottom