Help! My sweet chicken’s comb is shrinking and turning white!

BaarFamily

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2022
We have 6 chickens (one we just found is a rooster!) but I need help, literally overnight, one of my chickens combs went from bright red and healthy (even thought she might be a rooster?) to white! The comb is also shrinking and looks like a part is missing. I dont think it’s molting time but she/he may even be losing some feathers. I say he/she because the comb was bigger than the other girls but not as big as the roosters so I’ve been wondering if he is a she? I don’t know if that would cause pecking? Please help, these are our first chickens and we just love them and want to help them.

Also, she’s been acting a little odd, she closes her eyes and shakes her head. Opens her eyes and then repeats…(about five times) then curls up. But she does this throughout the day. I can try to get a video of it?

I'm gonna take a guess on why the comb has shrunk, & is whitish.

Shrinkage happens when they stop laying for the season, or are molting. The white maybe dry skin, or possibly a fungal infection. Dry skin is most common during the winter months.

Shrinkage occasionally is a sign of a reproductive issue too, but not sure what's exactly going on. Didn't get much information regarding symptoms, if she has any.

Why so you think one is a rooster? Can we see your 'rooster'? There are many things that identify a male, large comb is one but females can have substantial combs too. also, a close up of the comb would be nice.
I’ll get a picture of our rooster soon, but we know this one is a rooster because he started crowing, a lot! Lol

Didn’t know how to post this in my thread, but here’s a picture of Puffer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 23
Here’s a better picture! Aww! Thank you for letting me know what breed she is! We had no idea!

Attachments

• 7EA64B22-99D9-4BB6-A2EC-357CDED9EDDB.jpeg
    7EA64B22-99D9-4BB6-A2EC-357CDED9EDDB.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom