Golden Comet calcium supplement

What works for us, especially when we start getting soft eggs or egg bound hens, which is pretty consistent in 1 hen in our flock, is restricting all treats and limiting feed to layer pellets. Ensuring oyster shell is available on the side and in the event of soft eggs being laid or egg binding, I give 600mg of calcium citrate plus D3 per day - just pop the whole tablet into the mouth.

IMG_3309.jpeg
Just because I have the picture on hand, here is what I use - they’re available at most drug or grocery stores. These exact ones are petites so I have to give 1 and 1/2 to get to 600mg.

Thanks. Didn’t realize human vitamins were ok.
Do you supplement only if problem?
Yes, these ones are totally okay. I recommend everyone has them in their chicken first aid kit; they’ve saved my egg bound hen for sure. I’ve recently read when they’ve come in handy for vent prolapses, too.

I personally do only supplement (the vitamin) if there is an instance of egg binding or very soft eggs being laid. I usually give for a few days in a row, no longer than a week. I’ve found that with our flock most egg shell quality problems are solved when I stop giving treats, though.

Last edited:
When it’s suggested to supplement w extra calcium for heavy layers what do you use?
Washed, crushed egg shells?
I have oyster shell available free choice on the side of the feed. The birds take what they need. It gets used less if I'm feeding "layer" and used more if I'm feeding "flock rasier".. I prefer flock raiser. The difference between the two being calcium and protein %.

I also do not wash.. but simply let them dry on the counter to avoid molding.. then crush just a little and feed back all the egg shells. Crushing too small is not desired.

Those human supplements being suggested are in the event of persistent soft egg shells and would not be an ideal long term choice.

I have oyster shell available free choice on the side of the feed. The birds take what they need. It gets used less if I'm feeding "layer" and used more if I'm feeding "flock rasier".. I prefer flock raiser. The difference between the two being calcium and protein %.

I also do not wash.. but simply let them dry on the counter to avoid molding.. then crush just a little and feed back all the egg shells. Crushing too small is not desired.

Those human supplements being suggested are in the event of persistent soft egg shells and would not be an ideal long term choice.
Good to know!
Treats being meal worms or stuff from garden? Anything but their feed?

When it’s suggested to supplement w extra calcium for heavy layers what do you use?
Washed, crushed egg shells?
Chickens can get calcium from chicken feed, certain plants if they can graze on them, creepy crawlies if they can catch them, and even rocks in the soil if you are in limestone country. Dad never provided extra calcium but his chickens free ranged in limestone country. Their eggshells were fine.

Most of us can't do that so we supplement their feed with extra calcium. For me that is oyster shell, offered by itself, not mixed with anything. Sometimes I toss eggshells where they can get them. I don't crush them, just toss as they are after I open them. Sometimes the chickens eat them, sometimes not. Chickens seem to know when they need calcium and seek out sources. If they are getting enough from elsewhere they may eat very few oyster shells or eggshells.

A lot of the calcium they eat is never digested, it goes right out of their rear end. They need some calcium for normal body functions. That means if all they got calcium from was their own eggshells they'd run a deficit. Most will get calcium from other sources so eggshells may be all they need.

My suggestion is to look at your eggshells. If they are hard enough whatever you are doing is working fine. If they are thin or soft, offer calcium on the side. If all eggs are fine except for one hen's then you have an individual hen problem, not a flockwide problem.

Back
Top Bottom