What did you do in the garden today?

Re workwear, teen needed some pants. Specifically work pants.

We ordered Carhartt pants, and Berne pants. Both under women’s workwear. Both were terrible fit for her. Although the coveralls she has from both these companies are great : insulated coveralls from Berne, and regular Carharrt coveralls.

Then, a trip to Rural King: huge workwear selection. If you are a guy. The women’s section was 5% of the men’s section. Found nothing worthwhile there.

Then a trip to TSC, and nope, several brands of workwear, with a section for women, but poor fit for her.

Then we ordered from Wrangler, Riggs workwear for women. TA-DA!! Great fit! She also likes the pocket placement. I recall they also carry jeans workwear, but we only bought regular jeans. Spouse buy Riggs workwear now for years, and they have all held up really well, both the lighter summer version, and the heavier thicker versions.

Copper spray.

Just purchased another fungal spray, but instructions indicate when to use it and when past a certain growth phase, to then use something else. So, I’m back to copper I think. I’ll spray a bug spray too-I’ll see what I have.

I’ll call the extension office and see what they might have to say.
I alternate my sprays between Bordeaux Mix (handmade - not prepackaged - from Copper Sulfate and hydrated lime) and Captan. I prefer the Bordeaux Mix to the commercial copper sprays because it seems to work better for me. It doesn't wash off from rain either which is another bonus because a lot of stone fruit fungus releases spores DURING rainy weather.

Bonide makes a Captan Fruit Tree spray but you have to carefully read the label because they have 2 products that go by "fruit tree spray" but only one actually has Captan.

I have 2 asparagus spears that need to be picked. Those are the Mary Washington type. All the stalks in the male/ Jersey Knight side are thinner than pencils. I won’t be picking them. I stopped for lunch. After hanging the next to that last section of HC. Getting there but of course I’ve run out of screws and washers. Hopefully I can find some in the garage so I can finish the grow out pen. I’ve also run out of chocolate so I need to make brownies too. Gotta have my daily chocolate fix.

You got a tree rat? Squirrel or fruit tree rat? I had fruit rats once, neighbors said they were around for years, enjoying plum tree, grape vines, pear trees, etc. I set some of the Hav a Hart rat traps with fruit as bait. What caught them in minutes was when I added Fruit Flavor Zupreem pellets lol. Those little dudes had tunneled into my raised beds, were living in them! Destroyed what I planted in the raised beds by burrowing in the roots. Yes, I caught & relocated those ornery buggers.
Squirrel, sorry I never knew there was actually a tree rat. :lau

Nice out there today. I got the last of the bush beans planted & a row of edamame (first time growing) in. & everything watered. First sowing of bush beans are poking thru the dirt.

I saw the first honey bees! :wee

Zone 6b Gardner here!
We have lots of stuff coming up and a few blossoms coming through.
Strawberry blossoms pictured. 🍓

Have a question for 6b peeps,
Have you had your asparagus come back up yet?
My plants would be second year crowns this year. Let them grow and fluff out last year and trimmed them back before spring this winter.
Have yet to see any popping up. 😕
Is it to early or are they done for?
Mine came back this year.

I alternate my sprays between Bordeaux Mix (handmade - not prepackaged - from Copper Sulfate and hydrated lime) and Captan. I prefer the Bordeaux Mix to the commercial copper sprays because it seems to work better for me. It doesn't wash off from rain either which is another bonus because a lot of stone fruit fungus releases spores DURING rainy weather.

Bonide makes a Captan Fruit Tree spray but you have to carefully read the label because they have 2 products that go by "fruit tree spray" but only one actually has Captan.
Recipe for Bordeaux mix?

Took a few pics. Can't wait till everything is green & growing & flowers are blooming - it's so blah now.

This is the baby bunny nest in the bed I'm supposed to be planting cukes in tmrw. :he I think I'm still going to plant anyway. They'll probably eat my seedlings in a couple weeks. 🙄
IMG_20240502_171219253.jpg

My garlic doesn't look too bad for having gone in in the spring instead of fall. Here's hoping I'm able to save my like 7 year old bulbs!
IMG_20240502_171150821.jpg

The bushes we transplanted into the chicken yard last fall have survived. You can see exactly how high the girls can jump!
IMG_20240502_173038154.jpg

My repurposed, collapsed cattle panel fits perfect over two 4x4 beds as a melon & spaghetti squash trellis! DH thought I was crazy but I had a vision.
IMG_20240502_171007215.jpg

TSC has great MENS t-shirts by blue mountain that I wear all the time. ALL...THE...TIME They are soft, thick and longer with easy sleeves.
OC the women's version is too short, has too deep a neckline, too tight of sleeves and are too thin....so... ya.

I had a case of "get me off this ranch" this morning so a trip to town to take the cuckoo clock in for a tune up, and I may, or may not, have wandered into the mega plant nursery. And plants may, or may not, have followed me home for the flower bed.
(Scentsational honeysuckle, and a edelweiss something or other turns out it's egelweiss....cool)- https://www.google.com/search?gs_ss...g3NzExajBqN6gCCLACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Spent the day working on a rock bed, trying to get russian sage OUT. I poisoned it last year, but it didn't die totally, but still want to get the dead and dying OUT.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom