Fertile eggs not hatching after 25 days

LemonyCatapult

Songster
Jul 27, 2018
London, Ontario
UPDATE!!!!! First egg has just begun hatching! Thanks for your input, everyone!

I have a hen that’s been sitting on a large batch of eggs for the past 25 days. This is her first time brooding at all and it was kind of unexpected, long story short, there are eggs under her from 25 days ago and eggs under her from 4 days ago and everywhere in between!

I’ve candled some eggs and most of them are quite far along in development. It’s now been 25 days and none have hatched?

Last edited:
What's your weather like? What part if the world are you in?

Did you mark the eggs with dates so you know for sure what day each one is on?
Do you seem movement in any?

How more clearer can I say it? A hen setting takes longer to hatch than if one was to use an incubator which takes less time. I hear it's 25 days for eggs to hatch if using a broody hen.

Never heard this before. 21 days to develop typically. This can fluctuate a little with temperature variants. As far as I know anyways. Maybe I'm wrong.

My broody had some hatching at 19-20 days this last hatch.

Never heard this before. 21 days to develop typically. This can fluctuate a little with temperature variants. As far as I know anyways. Maybe I'm wrong.

My broody had some hatching at 19-20 days this last hatch.
Yeah, it was probably a staggered hatch which might have some people confused given the hen will 'set' on the first however many eggs and then continues to deposit more after. That or she constantly gets off her nest to gossip with the other hens, only to realize soo much time have passed so she rushes back to her eggs 4 hours late each time.

How more clearer can I say it? A hen setting takes longer to hatch than if one was to use an incubator which takes less time. I hear it's 25 days for eggs to hatch if using a broody hen.
I have never heard this before.

What's your weather like? What part if the world are you in?

Did you mark the eggs with dates so you know for sure what day each one is on?
Do you seem movement in any?
I’m in southern Ontario, it’s been an average of 25-30 degrees Celsius the last month. There is definitely movement. I’m now thinking that maybe the first batch of chicks were infertile or something was off and I’m now hoping the ones that I’ve seen movement in are the ones due to hatch in the next couple days. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom