Eggs not getting fertilized?

I’ve had only 5 of 20 silkie eggs develop but all my turkey and ducks eggs in that incubator have either hatched or are developing normally
Your hens also might be rejecting the roosters sperm.
Have you watched him mount the hens, and be somewhat successful?

Your hens also might be rejecting the roosters sperm.
Have you watched him mount the hens, and be somewhat successful?
I had no idea this could happen. I’ve only seen him mount once but I’m generally at work most of the day so I haven’t had much time to watch him.

I had no idea this could happen. I’ve only seen him mount once but I’m generally at work most of the day so I haven’t had much time to watch him.
I try to pay attention first thing in the morning and early evening before they roost. That's prime mating time in my experience. Make a cup of tea and just hang out. I see who's being mated and check their eggs over the next few days. In the meantime, a vent trimming won't hurt and you'll see if the eggs are fertilized or not relatively quickly.

Yeah, I'm not sure what makes them decide to recent the sperm, but they can and will.
I try to pay attention first thing in the morning and early evening before they roost. That's prime mating time in my experience. Make a cup of tea and just hang out. I see who's being mated and check their eggs over the next few days. In the meantime, a vent trimming won't hurt and you'll see if the eggs are fertilized or not relatively quickly.
I completely agree with this.
If you can do this, @cynrg8 I think that would be the best bet.

Back
Top Bottom