Eggs not getting fertilized?

cynrg8

Chirping
May 24, 2020
I’ve been incubating quite a few eggs from my silkies. We should be on day 15 so far but when candling over 75% show no sign of development. I’m not sure why this would be. I have my one roo in with 6 hens. Is he just not getting the job done? I don’t think it’s an issue with my incubator as all my duck and other chicken eggs are all fertilized and deploring and this only seems to be happening with my silkie eggs. Any ideas?

I’ve been incubating quite a few eggs from my silkies. We should be on day 15 so far but when candling over 75% show no sign of development. I’m not sure why this would be. I have my one roo in with 6 hens. Is he just not getting the job done? I don’t think it’s an issue with my incubator as all my duck and other chicken eggs are all fertilized and deploring and this only seems to be happening with my silkie eggs. Any ideas?
If you have some you could crack open and check, I would start there. If they aren't getting fertilized, could be the rooster's having a hard time hitting the mark if they're extra floofy bottomed.

If you have some you could crack open and check, I would start there. If they aren't getting fertilized, could be the rooster's having a hard time hitting the mark if they're extra floofy bottomed.
Thank you. I did crack one and saw no sign of any fertilization. Should I try trimming up my girls bottoms in hopes he’ll be able to successfully breed them better?

I hear silkies can have a hard time 'getting the job done' due to having so much fluff.
It might be worth cutting some of the fluff around both the roosters, and hens vents; what that will do is make a more clear path for success with the males sperm.

I did that and had pretty good success with it.

Back
Top Bottom