Chickens and hogs co-mingling...

chellebyerly

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Jasper Texas
Okay, I had chickens before. With Goats. Never thought a thing about it. I would worm my goats normal and never worried.

BUT I got pigs a week or so ago. They are like 3 months old. I decided to worm them with Wyzine (?).

Today I got about 4 dozen foot long round worms out of the pen. Now, I cant find much info on pigs (like how do you worm them with water added wormer when you water them with a nipple like they tell you to?? I just put it in the feed... hope I didnt kill them. LOL )

back to no info on pigs. From what I can find, they are pretty much gona have worms. I just try to keep the worms from getting too bad. So about once a month or so I worm them. No big deal. I am hoping that by getting all the round worms out of the pen, the infestation wont be as bad.

BUT next month, when I put my chicks outside, they will more than likely get to the poo and worms BEFORE I do. (chickens just eat poo. for me it was always a benefit.. LOL )

So, If they ingest these tapeworms, does that mean I shouldnt kill them for food when they need culling? or I should watch my calender and not do it for a few weeks after?
Should I throw out eggs in the week or so after I worm the hogs?

What about when I worm the dogs?

Granted, I am not an expert on pigs, chickens, or even kids. BUT, I know most of the basics. LOL Maybe once I worm for few months strait (before my chickens start to lay) I might never see another round worm. It would be nice, but unlikely. LOL

Anyway, once the wormer is ingested by a pig, kills a worm, is expelled, does the chicken, who is getting dead worm and wormer second hand, have enough wormer in them to matter?

I am not an expert either but I did grow up on hog farm and had plenty of chickens with no problem. Round worms are an intestinal parasite and therefor would not affect the meat or eggs of a chicken. So if the Chickens ingest the worms or hog manure the meat and eggs will be fine as far as worms go. As for the chemicals that is used to kill worms I am not sure how if would impact the egg or meat quality. My instincts tell me that in small amounts like all other toxic chemicals it would not be a problem. With hogs worming once a month sounds too often and in my experience once you get ride of the first infestation the hogs are ready for market before they need worming again. I would say once every three months should be enough. Most hogs will weigh around 250lbs at 6 months of age and be ready for market or the freezer. That is when the meat quailty and fat content are at the right levels.

I love seeing a chicken working in a hog lot or horse stable eating leftover grain, flies, or undigested grain. They keep things cleaner and scratch around to freshen up the soil. It seems like a very natural process.

The manufacturer of the wormer will most likely have the best answer for you regarding the affect of their product on other farm animals. I say go for it and don't let it worry you too much.

Thanks !!
smile.png

The reason I was going to worm once a month was I read the round worm's matured in 33 days... ?? LOL

I used to worm my goats four times a year. So I will just do that schedule.
smile.png
THanks.

ANd I agree, thats what chickens are for and one of the reasons I like them
smile.png

I might not ever get another infestation, once I get rid of these, I hope I dont. LOL

These will be my breeders, so they wont be going to sale/freezers at 6-8 months.
sad.png
Their babies will be though!
smile.png

And your right, I dont know why I was worried. I guess cause they were so dang big I could see them! LOL
I never thought a thing about it when I had goats. I was just thankful the chickens took care of alot of the poo. LOL same with the dogs. LOL

Maybe its like I said. I have just never seen anything this dang big. There are only 3, 3 month old pigs out there. it was GROSS. and I have kids. very little grosses me out! LOL

my pigs are fine with my chickens..but, i have sissy little PBP's.. not feed hogs...although..i have heard from several people that their feed hogs are more calm and sweeter than PBP's...

No, I dont think the chickens will get ate by the hogs ... They are faster than that. And the hogs are in a pen. Plus, hogs are pretty docile.

I have a pot bellied pig too, and he is.... well.... a toot.. I guess thats the word. LOL

I dont know if big hogs are calmer and sweeter, they are just fatter and lazier. ROFLMAO.

They still play some. Just not quite as much, and they really are not as rambunctios as a pot belly. Pork chop likes to 'pick' on people and animals. He will bite dogs tail and then run and bark. He usually only does it with dog thats on a chain though. LOL (the Bullmastiff he was raised with had to be IN a pen AND chained. Cause he liked to dig OUT. We would find him dug OUT of the pen, and INTO the neighbors pasture, laying down with baby goats all over him... )

I am counting on the chickens to help me keep some cleanliness around the hog pen. ROFLMAO.

But I am seriously counting on the hogs to help me with preditors. I am hoping once they are full grow'd lots of the wild animals wont come into their pen to get to the chicken coop.
smile.png

(The chickens 'free range' is their own coop and the hog pen, plus a yard for them. they cant be loose on the place, cause I have two idiotic heelers. )

first let me say...Ewwwww on the worms! LOL I would have been grossed out too.
Now, for the chickens and pigs being together. Last summer...we raised 2 little cute piggies...for the freezer. These girls were....to say the least....smart..and HORRIBLE!! I fed them more than enough..and always gave them scraps from the garden and kitchen. So, I know they were not hungry. however...I sat under the willow one day...reading and sorta watching the pigs and the chickens which free range. I had just given the hogs thier feed, with cracked corn on top as a treat. The chickens were standing near the fence...wondering why they didnt get any corn, and pecking through the fence at whatever crumbs the hogs would drop. These very smart pigs, noticed the chickens...and would get a mouthfull of corn, and walk to the edge of the fence..and spit it out. At first I thought, " awwwww, they are shareing" NO, they were BAITING!!!! Then it happened. The chicken was reaching through the edge of the fence, to get the dropped corn, and WHAM! The pig grabbed her by the head...pulled her THROUGH the fence, and the 2 hogs had her gone in minutes! So, Hogs WILL eat chickens....if they can get them.

i am boarding a rescued PBP and the chickens are in its stall all the time. i haven't seen it look twice at those chickens.... she isn't the friendliest thing either.

Back
Top Bottom