Chicken Breed Focus - Ayam Cemani

Ok thanks!
I've always thought that they would lay black eggs also;)  I would LOVE one for my birthday:gig

Are they pretty friendly?

Mine are pretty friendly! Not exactly lap chickens but not overly skittish. If I bend down in the pen they come right over to see what I'm up to.

If you're interested in black eggs, look into cayuga ducks. They do actually lay black eggs :)

Are their eggs black too? Because that would be the icing on the cake.

No, they lay a cream to tan egg in the US, white to tinted in the Netherlands. I posted a picture a few posts ago. Cayuga ducks, however, do lay black eggs, if you want a bird that lays black eggs for you :)

Last edited:
No, they lay a cream to tan egg. I posted a picture a few posts ago. Cayuga ducks, however, do lay black eggs, if you want a bird that lays black eggs for you :)

X2!!!! I love my hatchlings from you Pyxis!

Here is Bruce Wayne. (Has cockerel behaviors)

X2!!!! I love my hatchlings from you Pyxis!

Here is Bruce Wayne. (Has cockerel behaviors)

Cute name! How's the other one doing? She looked gorgeous from the little bit of her that I saw in your first picture. (If anyone is wondering, one of those eggs I posted a picture of is now this chick. Rossfam was nice enough to let me use the picture she sent to me after they arrived to her.)

Last edited:
I feel that the other chick is a she!!!! She acts nothing like this guy! :lau. She is great! I will take more updated photos tomorrow. Seeing they are now a week old. ;)

Do you know where I can get some of these? These are gorgeous birds and I would love to just have one!

Do you know where I can get some of these? These are gorgeous birds and I would love to just have one!

You can order chicks from Greenfire Farms, who originally imported the breed, for $200 each. Or you can find a breeder like me, CJWaldon, etc, here on BYC and buy eggs or chicks if they're selling. Also check out this breeder's directory here. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Is their coloration due to dominate or recessive genes. If crossed with a white legwork, what coloration would result? Just a guess is fine.

If it helps any, these are what my crosses look like so far:

Top chick is a cross with either a white leghorn or a California white. Other three are all crosses between a white NN male and an AC female. They are likely full siblings.

Back
Top Bottom