Captain Jack for mites. Yay, or nay?

Pics

room onthebroom

Advocate
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 4, 2015
33. N -117.W
We just noticed yesterday the beginning of a mite problem in the coop & on a couple of the chickens. I'm trying to jump on this quick before we have a massive infestation. I would like to buy Elector, but its expensive & I can only find it online, so I'm going with Captain Jack because I've heard it works & I can buy it right now in the garden store. My questions are;

*Have you ever used Captain Jack inside your coop, & if so how was your experience with it?

and

*Can you spray Captain Jack directly on your birds (chickens, ducks, quail...)?

We just noticed yesterday the beginning of a mite problem in the coop & on a couple of the chickens. I'm trying to jump on this quick before we have a massive infestation. I would like to buy Elector, but its expensive & I can only find it online, so I'm going with Captain Jack because I've heard it works & I can buy it right now in the garden store. My questions are;

*Have you ever used Captain Jack inside your coop, & if so how was your experience with it?

and

:barnie :hugs
I hope it works! :fl
I haven't used it.... but Im following! :pop

What is Captain Jack? Jack Daniels? Captain Morgan I know....

Yes. Its when you get so frustrated with bugs that you douse your coop in a bottle of Captain Morgan & a bottle of Jack Daniels & then light a match. (*Please remove all birds before doing this!):old

… Just kidding. :lau

Ok, seriously, Captain Jacks Dead Bug Brew is an organic pesticide that a trusted BYC'er recommend. So far, its got pretty good reviews on amazon & you can pick it up local, so no waiting 2days for prime. I haven't tried it yet, but DH is picking some up at the garden center right now. Fingers crossed that this handles it. :fl:fl
61IuxldeYTL._SL1000_.jpg

8189Vc-Ub-L._SL1000_.jpg

Ok... that makes more sense... because yes, I thought that you were going with option 1. :lau

So first: do you KNOW that these are mites and not lice?

And second: I haven't had mites yet, but I have had regular lice and scale lice (or are the scale ones mites? Whatever, they aren't the regular poultry mites)

I have used ivermectin pour on, and super high doses of permethrin spray.

Those have worked well for me... except for my old rooster... he has been getting leg baths over the past month followed by vaseline or similar afterwards.. not sure his scale lice are totally gone yet.

Yes. Its when you get so frustrated with bugs that you douse your coop in a bottle of Captain Morgan & a bottle of Jack Daniels & then light a match. (*Please remove all birds before doing this!):old

… Just kidding. :lau

Ok, seriously, Captain Jacks Dead Bug Brew is an organic pesticide that a trusted BYC'er recommend. So far, its got pretty good reviews on amazon & you can pick it up local, so no waiting 2days for prime. I haven't tried it yet, but DH is picking some up at the garden center right now. Fingers crossed that this handles it. :fl:fl
61IuxldeYTL._SL1000_.jpg

8189Vc-Ub-L._SL1000_.jpg
I'm not sure I would go with this. One it is not intended for chickens and two it states it does not have a significant impact on mites. I'm a doubting thomas, sorry! That said have not had a case of them.:):oops: I use poultry protector as a preventative. I think I would stick with standard treatments.

and

No I haven't used it but it will work for the coop!
You have to pay attention to the dilution you buy.
Some are just TOO weak. You want .1% or .5% Nothing less.
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 5.29.15 PM.png

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/spinosadgen.html#products

Ok... that makes more sense... because yes, I thought that you were going with option 1. :lau

So first: do you KNOW that these are mites and not lice?

And second: I haven't had mites yet, but I have had regular lice and scale lice (or are the scale ones mites? Whatever, they aren't the regular poultry mites)

I have used ivermectin pour on, and super high doses of permethrin spray.

Those have worked well for me... except for my old rooster... he has been getting leg baths over the past month followed by vaseline or similar afterwards.. not sure his scale lice are totally gone yet.

These are my first mites, but I’m 99% sure that’s what they are. Another trusted BYC’er recommended permectrin spray which worked well for birds that were brought home with stick tight fleas. :sick
I also have some ivermectin horse paste that I can give orally, or in theory, maybe dab under a wing, :confused: but I’d rather avoid anything that will mean egg withdrawal if I can. I’d like to try the Elector, but like I said, it’s very expensive & I don’t want to wait two days to start treating. I don’t think there’s an egg withdrawal period for the Elector.

These are my first mites, but I’m 99% sure that’s what they are. Another trusted BYC’er recommended permectrin spray which worked well for birds that were brought home with stick tight fleas. :sick
I also have some ivermectin horse paste that I can give orally, or in theory, maybe dab under a wing, :confused: but I’d rather avoid anything that will mean egg withdrawal if I can. I’d like to try the Elector, but like I said, it’s very expensive & I don’t want to wait two days to start treating. I don’t think there’s an egg withdrawal period for the Elector.
Permethrin will work for both coop and birds and it is labeled for birds too. Zero withdrawal when using permethrin.

I am not sure that Jack is labeled for birds but I am digging.
Ivermectin horse paste will NOT rid mites.

Back
Top Bottom