Captain Jack for mites. Yay, or nay?

I'm not sure I would go with this. One it is not intended for chickens and two it states it does not have a significant impact on mites. I'm a doubting thomas, sorry! That said have not had a case of them.:):oops: I use poultry protector as a preventative. I think I would stick with standard treatments.

Don’t be sorry! I appreciate hearing everybody’s opinions. :thumbsup

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 5.39.02 PM.png

Most important thing to do is not forget to retreat about a week after the first treatment, what ever product you decide to use:
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0483/ANR-0483.pdf

Side note.
:eek:Read what the article says above about beetles.

No I haven't used it but it will work for the coop!
You have to pay attention to the dilution you buy.
Some are just TOO weak. You want .1% or .5% Nothing less.
View attachment 1547060

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/spinosadgen.html#products

Good to know! DH bought the premixed stuff. I’ll check the percentages... He might have to go back for the concentrate. I’ve been reading sites & calling places all day & I’m not finding any info about spraying it directly on the birds. Right now I’m dusting them & the nesting boxes in permethrin poultry dust until I can get more info.

These are my first mites, but I’m 99% sure that’s what they are. Another trusted BYC’er recommended permectrin spray which worked well for birds that were brought home with stick tight fleas. :sick
I also have some ivermectin horse paste that I can give orally, or in theory, maybe dab under a wing, :confused: but I’d rather avoid anything that will mean egg withdrawal if I can. I’d like to try the Elector, but like I said, it’s very expensive & I don’t want to wait two days to start treating. I don’t think there’s an egg withdrawal period for the Elector.
Look up pictures of poultry lice verses poultry lice.

Mites require a MUCH more careful coop cleaning than lice, since lice live on the bird, mites live in the coop.

As to egg withdrawal... a little dewormer might be exactly what ya need. ;) Maybe ask the doc for a little extra. :lau

Good to know! DH bought the premixed stuff. I’ll check the percentages... He might have to go back for the concentrate. I’ve been reading sites & calling places all day & I’m not finding any info about spraying it directly on the birds. Right now I’m dusting them & the nesting boxes in permethrin poultry dust until I can get more info.
Get a picture of what he bought.
I'll help you calculate how to mix it.

@casportpony might have it already calculated out.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/spinosadgen.html
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 5.52.28 PM.png

If I didn't have permethrin on hand and had this Jack stuff, I'd use on my birds.

Back
Top Bottom