Lump on chicken’s breast

Basghettiii

Songster
Oct 6, 2023
I’ve made a post about this chicken pretty recently regarding a patch of missing feathers over her crop. At first, I didn’t really think much was really wrong, maybe just some feather picking. It’s over her crop, as I said earlier, so a lump isn’t really that concerning. I’ve begun to monitor said lump in the mornings, and to my concern, that lump doesn’t disappear when her crop empties. The lump of her crop goes down as normal, but that smaller lump remains. She acts very painful when the other chickens or I touch around the area, so I am concerned. Here are some pictures of the patch. They are in my other post as well, but they be helpful in some
IMG_8599.jpeg
IMG_8598.jpeg

Her name is Jelly, in case anyone is curious. She has scoliosis, so we know she is prone to some genetic problems. She’s a sweet girl, and I really don’t want to lose her. I’m hoping this lump is an easy fix.

It's possible she is rubbing her crop area on a roost bar at night while she is sleeping. You can install foam insulation (for pipes) on the roost bar to eliminate the problem, if that's what it is.
You can apply Bag Balm to the effected area to help protect and heal the area.

We have 2x4 wooden planks for our roosting bars, so I don’t think crop rubbing is the problem. None of my other chickens have the crop problems, it’s just Jelly. I’ve also seen other chickens pecking at her, and she’s been pillion out feathers herself. I’m pretty sure she is feather pulling because the area is uncomfortable

Back
Top Bottom