All advice for raising ducklings please

Looks like it maybe. Have you washed it or soaked the bum?Is the duckling pooping?
There seems to be wet poop on the feathers when I check each time. I washed it off the first time and just did a warm bath the 2nd time (before this pic). The abdomen feels hard and full but also a bit squishy if that makes sense. I didn't notice it poop after I washed it off like chicks do after u wash off pasty butt.

Watched him back up to poop and nothing came out. Picked him up and just a bit of wet poo on its bum but not even much. That little dot is all I see for a vent. Is that normal???? Tried to check the others but hard to tell.

What do u do? I have read sugar on it??? Coconut oil. It is too tiny for me to push it back in.

Ugh... 😭. Woke up to little miracle dead. Was going to put him in the brooder early last night but noticed my MHP (brand new heating pad) wasn't working. Took the cord from the coop brooder and got it working but figured I would wait till this morning so maybe he was a bit more steady to keep up. He hatched 42 hrs ago did I keep him in the incubator too long?? I thought I read 2 days with ducklings which was why I was doing it first thing this morning. I did try to put him in the brooder yesterday and showed him the food and water and went to show the MHP and that was when I noticed it wasn't working...... I am so sad after everything we went through for him to hatch on his own, fluffed up nice, seemed healthy, was getting along well. I took him out last night and snuggled him like 6 hrs ago and he seemed ok. Thinking I should have just moved him then. 😭

Ugh... 😭. Woke up to little miracle dead. Was going to put him in the brooder early last night but noticed my MHP (brand new heating pad) wasn't working. Took the cord from the coop brooder and got it working but figured I would wait till this morning so maybe he was a bit more steady to keep up. He hatched 42 hrs ago did I keep him in the incubator too long?? I thought I read 2 days with ducklings which was why I was doing it first thing this morning. I did try to put him in the brooder yesterday and showed him the food and water and went to show the MHP and that was when I noticed it wasn't working...... I am so sad after everything we went through for him to hatch on his own, fluffed up nice, seemed healthy, was getting along well. I took him out last night and snuggled him like 6 hrs ago and he seemed ok. Thinking I should have just moved him then. 😭
I myself take mine out of the incubator as soon as they hatch and put them under the light in my brooder. I have had some eat just hours after hatching and not waiting for a few days. He took so long to hatch that he possibly could have been hungry but don't beat yourself up. Things happen that we don't plan for or expect. I am so sorry that you lost him. It's hard to learn the hard way but that is how we usually remember life's lessons the best. I am glad that the rest of them are all doing well.

I myself take mine out of the incubator as soon as they hatch and put them under the light in my brooder. I have had some eat just hours after hatching and not waiting for a few days. He took so long to hatch that he possibly could have been hungry but don't beat yourself up. Things happen that we don't plan for or expect. I am so sorry that you lost him. It's hard to learn the hard way but that is how we usually remember life's lessons the best. I am glad that the rest of them are all doing well.
I normally do it sooner but with the others so big I wanted him more steady on his feet. Then when I went to put him in there was no heat on the MHP and felt he needed it for sure. So got that set but wanted to be sure it stayed warm so was giving it till this am. 😭

Back
Top Bottom