Serama hatch part 3 (and a few odds and ends!)

Pics
How long has she been broody?
It's about 2 weeks in I believe. Her eggs are due to hatch in about a weeks time (28th). I want to go candle them tonight. One ended up busting and was empty. I assume it was a clear bc there was no body. I will probably candle then tonight. Should I build a ramp as well. Nesting boxes are about 10 inches or so off the ground. Should I broody pen her with the teenage chuckens? (And I am so leaving that misspelled bc that's just a funny way to spell chicken)

At least they hatched. Granted it was a bit forceful. Maybe the other chicks were too rough?
Filigree the 2nd was one of the last to hatch. Perhaps there was an issue beginning pre-hatch. The egg got cracked and maybe the little one wasn’t really ready to hatch yet.
That’s a good question @tlcmurphy. I can give ONLY my experience. I’ve seen broodies abandon eggs once the oldest chicks get active.

It’s really going to depend on her acceptance of the chicks. If she fully accepts and protects them, they should be fine with her. But, do you plan on keeping her separate from the flock? I’m really overprotective with my own chicks. I separate the broodies with them until they’re done raising them. Then they go to the grow out building before I begin integration with the flock.
I do have a teenager pen. The chicks in that area are roughly around 8 to 10 weeks old. Idk the exact age off the top of my head. Would they be fine in there?

Filigree the 2nd was one of the last to hatch. Perhaps there was an issue beginning pre-hatch. The egg got cracked and maybe the little one wasn’t really ready to hatch yet.
That’s a good question @tlcmurphy. I can give ONLY my experience. I’ve seen broodies abandon eggs once the oldest chicks get active.
I can always finish her eggs in the incubator? Idk. I just thought they'd do well with a broody. I only have one broody though so it's either hope she takes the Seramas, or put them in my brooder tote duplex. (Which now has a camera and two lids)

It's about 2 weeks in I believe. Her eggs are due to hatch in about a weeks time (28th). I want to go candle them tonight. One ended up busting and was empty. I assume it was a clear bc there was no body. I will probably candle then tonight. Should I build a ramp as well. Nesting boxes are about 10 inches or so off the ground. Should I broody pen her with the teenage chuckens? (And I am so leaving that misspelled bc that's just a funny way to spell chicken)

It depends on what you'd prefer. You can let Dolly raise her chicks up with the rest of the birds around, or you can separate them. If any of the birds start being overly aggressive, you should separate. A few picks here and there are to be expected, IME

I do have a teenager pen. The chicks in that area are roughly around 8 to 10 weeks old. Idk the exact age off the top of my head. Would they be fine in there?
Oh! And I have a decent size cat litter box with a lid. Can always put her in there with the eggs. It's a bit deep though. Thoughts? The ducks are about 8 to 10 weeks old as well. They are Jumbo Pekins.

Attachments

• 20240520_100204.jpg
    20240520_100204.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 1
It depends on what you'd prefer. You can let Dolly raise her chicks up with the rest of the birds around, or you can separate them. If any of the birds start being overly aggressive, you should separate. A few picks here and there are to be expected, IME
Yeah. I expect some "Hey there you're new" pecks lol. I just want the Seramas to be protected. I do have Nugget who is double their size. I think Kithara is the dad bc of the legs. They go from grey to orange. Kithara is the only orange legged one I have. Everyone else is gray or pink or pale pale yellow.

I can always finish her eggs in the incubator? Idk. I just thought they'd do well with a broody. I only have one broody though so it's either hope she takes the Seramas, or put them in my brooder tote duplex. (Which now has a camera and two lids)

It's really up to you. I'd say let Dolly continue brooding on her eggs. She's a first timer, so best let her have a smooth transition into it. If her eggs aren't viable, then serama chicks it is!

Back
Top Bottom