Are your roosts equal heights?

If you have two roosts in the same coop, are they...

• Equal heights

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • Different heights

Votes: 44 58.7%

• Total voters
Bumblefoot(staph infected foot wound) has nothing to do with roost size.
Yeah,I know,....I just thought they might benefit. For awhile I had bandaged their feet and also got them chicken booties to hold the wound dressings in place. It was obvious they had a harder time holding on to the roost. Now they are healed and fine. They were adopted birds so may have had the problem before I got them.
At first when I cleaned out the bumble foot I had nothing but duct tape to bandage the dressing in place. Duct tape is Very Slippery, by the way, and not very flexible. One girl couldn’t get a grip and seemed like she could hurt herself trying to get on the roost.

At first when I cleaned out the bumble foot I had nothing but duct tape to bandage the dressing in place. Duct tape is Very Slippery, by the way, and not very flexible. One girl couldn’t get a grip and seemed like she could hurt herself trying to get on the roost.

Vet wrap is the way to go - very grippy so birds have no slipping problems. Just make sure it's well tacked down at the end so it stays on.

Mine haven’t used their coop yet so it may not work out but I put 3 roosts at the same height.

Reasons:

Coop space. My coop is small and I currently have 7 birds. I want to accommodate everyone should no one be a rooster. I don’t have any long wall for a long roost and wanted 12 inches per bird.

I also wanted them up high enough to have a poop board under and still have storage underneath for supplies (cleaning bin for shavings and clean bedding in a galvanized trash)

We will see how it works out next weekend when they go outside!

Attachments

• 90C22C14-6BE4-4B18-B39D-8DCCE46F4C7B.jpeg
    90C22C14-6BE4-4B18-B39D-8DCCE46F4C7B.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 5
I bought a coop second hand and it has 3 bars which are almost level with the 3 nesting boxes. It’s a small coop and I only have 6 chicks. Are the bar heights going to be and issue? I guess I can figure out a way to raise them up a little but is composite and wood.

I figure this coop will be a temporary starter coop and I will build a new one. I might use it for a couple ducks later.

I bought a coop second hand and it has 3 bars which are almost level with the 3 nesting boxes. It’s a small coop and I only have 6 chicks. Are the bar heights going to be and issue? I guess I can figure out a way to raise them up a little but is composite and wood.
It can be.
One of these links might help:
Here's an excellent modification to that kind of coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-hens-roosting-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535

Some people modify their prefabs to work better like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

Back
Top Bottom