Are your roosts equal heights?

If you have two roosts in the same coop, are they...

• Equal heights

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • Different heights

Votes: 44 58.7%

• Total voters
I have different height roosts simply because my top 5 girls are cranky. They occupy 7-8’ of roost themselves. The other 6 full grown, 9 wk old cockerel and 3 seven week old pullets occupy two 7-8’ roosts that are 12” lower than the top.

I literally arranged roosts daily until there were no squabbles, just typical peck on head to move over..... then it’s been this way for a week.

It works. It’s staying like it is.

I have different height roosts for several reasons, some of them being my silkies seem to prefer lower roosts and some of my chickens have problems like nerve damage, and lower roosts makes it easier for them to get up. And I notice that some chickens like roosting as high as they can, while others would like to roost, but not get too high off the ground.

I have different height roosts for several reasons, some of them being my silkies seem to prefer lower roosts and some of my chickens have problems like nerve damage, and lower roosts makes it easier for them to get up. And I notice that some chickens like roosting as high as they can, while others would like to roost, but not get too high off the ground.
Different height roosts help when intoducing new chickens

I have different height bars, one at 2 foot high and the other roost bar at 4 foot high. My chickens jump from the 2 foot high bar up to the 4 foot high bar. They all fit on the highest roost bar and they all sleep up there every night.

When I first introduced my young pullets to the coop, most slept on the bedding itself. Then, over a few days, some starting sleeping on the 2 foot high bar. Eventually, everyone migrated to sleeping on the highest bar. I just keep the 2 foot high bar in the coop because it's not in my way and I do see the chickens use it as a jumping point to get up to the 4 foot high bar.

Different heights. I have Orpingtons that are going to get big and fat and won't be able to get up or down from a tall roost, but that doesn't mean they won't enjoy being up on one at night. So I wanted them to be able to get up and down more easily. Having 3 roosts in a stepped pattern makes it easier. Also, I noticed that even though they all like to sleep on the top roost at night, they actually prefer the bottom roost to hang out on when awake (in the morning before I let them out). So, having different heights gives them more space in the coop that they can utilize.

My two roosts are the same height.

Information: I have 4 girls in each coop. (Two coops) In both coops, there are two roosts and they are the same height.

Reason: I started out with 1 roost. As my pullets grew, and turned into hens, they didn't have enough room on the roost. I decided to add another so they had more space. I put them at the same height so the girls wouldn't fight for the higher roost.

I have them in a "ladder" in the tractor that I can raise and clip to the top when moving the tractor, and since I needed to be able to get around it, I figured the 4 feet of roost wouldn't be enough for 11 (or more) hens. So the first night, ten out of the eleven were crammed onto 4 feet 4 inches of top roost, and one lonely chicken was on the next one down.

Back
Top Bottom