Your 2024 Garden

Here is another seed company that I've had good success with out of Texas. Especially watermelon and summer squash. They have both heirloom and hybrid seeds. I had really good luck last year with one of their hybrid yellow summer squash last year. Year before last I planted TX Cream 40 cow peas that made like crazy. I first started using them in the mid 70's.

https://www.willhiteseed.com/

One heirloom tomato I will test here this year is Rutgers. Maybe 10 plants. The produced very well in TN but failed miserably in MO. High temps are not well tolerated by Rutgers. I don't think we have as much here in the way of those 95° + degree days in a row to kill their pollen. I will test Jetstar hybrid here for the first time this coming year. They withstood heat very well and have a nice 12-16oz size without the green cracked shoulders. First grew them as a market garden crop in the late 70's. Their flavor was excellent as a slicer and they canned well too. I wouldn't grow them as a sauce tomato though. We need a good sauce tomato for this climate and soil condition and I'm going to me asking the locals I know now for info on tomatoes in general.

Here is another small Mom and Pop seed company. I like them and have bought from them. Not just tomatoes but peppers too. It looks like they have invested profits back into there company and expanded somewhat since I bought tomato seed from them 3 years ago in TN. One thing I want in 2024 is paprika peppers. We like to grind our on powder. Smoked paprika too.

https://www.totallytomato.com/

I've never heard of anyone growing celery up here but I should look it up as that would be a Godsend to have on hand. I did have some dried celery once I bought many years ago but it's very expensive. Fresh celery is pretty reasonable, but around here it gets used for one thing and most of it goes to waste.
You can freeze celery also. Anytime I cook with celery, carrots, or onions, I save the ends and scraps and freeze them. Then when I go to make my homemade chicken or turkey stock, I can just throw in all those veggies from the freezer

You can freeze celery also. Anytime I cook with celery, carrots, or onions, I save the ends and scraps and freeze them. Then when I go to make my homemade chicken or turkey stock, I can just throw in all those veggies from the freezer
Thank you! I did not know that nor never would have even thought you could. I freeze green and red pepper strips all the time but for some reason, celery never crossed my mind.

They ship immediately though they get bogged down with orders closer to spring, which can slow down processing of orders. I generally order in Dec or Jan and the seeds get here in about a week.

About half my orders are replacement for old seed or seed packets that I've emptied. I know I need more string beans, kale, cauliflower, scallions, shishito...
I'm going to try broccoli and cauliflower next year. Never did it before. Oh, and cabbage too
Here is another small Mom and Pop seed company. I like them and have bought from them. Not just tomatoes but peppers too. It looks like they have invested profits back into there company and expanded somewhat since I bought tomato seed from them 3 years ago in TN. One thing I want in 2024 is paprika peppers. We like to grind our on powder. Smoked paprika too.

https://www.totallytomato.com/
So wait. Might be a dumb question but paprika is from peppers? So, if you bought the paprika pepper plant, you can dehydrate and make that into paprika powder?
Thank you! I did not know that nor never would have even thought you could. I freeze green and red pepper strips all the time but for some reason, celery never crossed my mind.
I freeze peppers too. I'm trying to overwinter my jalapeno and bell pepper plants, see how they do in my basement. If they don't make it, I saved their seeds so I can still grow them. They did so good this year, I couldn't believe it

I'm going to try broccoli and cauliflower next year. Never did it before. Oh, and cabbage too

So wait. Might be a dumb question but paprika is from peppers? So, if you bought the paprika pepper plant, you can dehydrate and make that into paprika powder?

I freeze peppers too. I'm trying to overwinter my jalapeno and bell pepper plants, see how they do in my basement. If they don't make it, I saved their seeds so I can still grow them. They did so good this year, I couldn't believe it

Yes. I'm planting the one below. Some to eat fresh like Bell Pepper and a lot to dehydrate and grind into powder. I think from what some people have said these could also be stuffed and baked.

https://pepperjoe.com/products/feher-ozon-paprika?variant=39474084380714

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom