Your 2024 Garden

That is awesome but we do so much less than you. We freeze corn and squash, and sometimes the pole beans, but that's it.

We just make a list and get the seeds in March/April, whenever we see they're out. I used to make large orders on Burpee or one of them seed/plant places. I also use to start tomatoes and marigolds in the house in March but I quit doing that too. We lessened how much we plant so for tomatoes, just want one of four different kinds.

What things do you dry? I dried some lavender but then the plant died. I give up on those.
I just remembered she dries the celery leaves and then powders them for soups and stews.

I just remembered she dries the celery leaves and then powders them for soups and stews.
I've never heard of anyone growing celery up here but I should look it up as that would be a Godsend to have on hand. I did have some dried celery once I bought many years ago but it's very expensive. Fresh celery is pretty reasonable, but around here it gets used for one thing and most of it goes to waste.

Celery is another thing I want to grow this year form plants I start. I love it stuffed with peanut butter as well as cooked in stuffing and such. I have some biodegradable black plastic mulch that I want to grow it own to keep it clean of sand that would normally splatter up on it during a heavy rain. Same for summer squash.

I've never heard of anyone growing celery up here but I should look it up as that would be a Godsend to have on hand. I did have some dried celery once I bought many years ago but it's very expensive. Fresh celery is pretty reasonable, but around here it gets used for one thing and most of it goes to waste.
Dehydrate it for later use in cooking.

One other thing I want to try with celery is letting some go to seed for the seed to be used in potato salad. Celery seed are not cheap or at least they were not the last time we bought them.

Baker Creek is not the only place for good heirloom seed.
I like them and Sow True Seed and Seed Savers Exchange. Baker Creek offers free shipping.

I visited Sow True when I was in Asheville, NC. NICE little place, with wonderful people. I like to give them business.

I'm in the "it's in my head" phase of planning my garden. Next is marking up seed catalogs. I go WAY overboard on that, this time of year. I want it all! If it'll grow in my climate, I want it! Well, not okra. Sorry, okra fans.

Then reality hits, and I narrow down my list. I have my usuals, but like to try a new variety, especially a new tomato, or two. Or five.

I'm always looking for a new tomato that tastes good and doesn't have green shoulders or cracks. One that cans well and slices good for those BLT's. If only there was one that those nasty hornworms would ignore.
Partially why instead of growing our own from seed, I want to buy four or so different tomato plants from a greenhouse that are resistance to a billion things and then see how they do as ours too get one thing or another every year. Blight wasn't so bad this past year but it has been.

Back
Top Bottom