YELLOW POOP!!! LETHARGIC HEN!!! SOMEONE HELP

when did she last lay an egg?
check belly/vent area for heat or swelling..

can you hear any wheezing?

I might try liquid Sulmet or liquid sulfadimethoxine..12.5% (available at McMurrays Hatchery or firststatevetsupply.com
also at most farm food stores..

separate, keep warm..

a fecal test would help diagnose.

basically chickens carry blckhead BUT DO NOT come down with it
the turkeys catch it from the chickens
the chickens get it from eating garden worms
You can use large sums of caheyene pepper as the lady said or read and do what the book says
The pepper is supposed to work
personally I would doctor all the chickens with the pepper if using it
It says may have gotten it from cotamination.
Glenda L Heywood
FROM
How to prevent Histamonosis/Blackhead from domestic chickens to ... 3 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Jun 19, 2007
How to prevent Histamonosis/Blackhead from domestic chickens to wild turkey Poultry Health and Welfare.
www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2469 - 48k - Cached

the cickens get it from eating garden worms
Histamonosis, Histomoniasis, Blackhead

Extracted From:

A Pocket Guide to
Poultry Health
and
Disease

By Paul McMullin
00a9.png
Click Here to
Order Your Copy
Introduction
Histomonas melagridis is a protozoan parasite of turkeys, and occasionally chickens, pheasants and game birds that acts together with facultative bacteria to produce the condition of Blackhead.

This condition has high morbidity and mortality in turkeys. Although chickens are relatively resistant to the condition, significant disease has been seen in breeding chickens and free-range layers.

The parasite is ingested in the ova of Heterakis worms or as larvae in earthworms or faeces and there is an incubation period of 15-20 days. Outwith earth worms or H. gallinae the parasite is easily destroyed.

The problem is seen in high-biosecurity facilities, presumably introduced with worm eggs. Within a turkey shed transmission is rapid in spite of the fact that it is difficult to infect birds orally with unprotected parasites.

It has recently been demonstrated that infection occurs readily via the cloaca when birds are on contaminated litter.

Signs

Depression.
Inappetance.
Poor growth.
Sulphur-yellow diarrhoea.
Cyanosis of head.
Blood in faeces (chickens).
Progressive depression and emaciation.
Post-mortem lesions

Enlargement of caeca.
Ulcers, caseous cores with yellow, grey or green areas.
Liver may have irregular-round depressed lesions, usually grey in colour, however they may not be present in the early stages, especially in chickens.
Diagnosis

Lesions, scrapings from fresh material.

TREATMENT
Historically nitro-imidazoles (e.g. dimetridazole), nitrofurans (e.g. furazolidone, nifursol) and arsenicals (e.g.nitarsone) have been used to treat this important disease of poultry. At the time of writing no products of these groups are approved for use in the European Union, and only nitarsone is approved in the USA.

Arsenicals are less effective in treatment than they are in prevention. Some herbal products based on the essential oils (e.g. 'Herban)' have been used with some apparent success though controlled trials and formal approval for this purpose are not recorded. Intensive relittering may help reduce the level of infection, given recent new knowledge on the mechanism of transmission.

Prevention
Good sanitation, avoid mixing species, concrete floors. Use of an anti-histomonas product in feed where such products are approved but due care with respect to residue avoidance would be required. Regular worming to help control the intermediate hosts. Having both chickens and turkeys on the same property is likely to increase the risk of this disease in turkeys.

Hi everyone,

I have been enjoying all the advice and stories on this forum since October 2013. My wife and I are raising our first hens. I have been completely impressed with how hardy they are even laying with temps dipping into the single digits. I have winterized their coop well, and they are eating all the table scraps we can give them.

Unfortunately, I am writing because our lone speckled sussex did not come out to eat this morning when I put their pellets out. I checked on her again this afternoon, and she was fluffed, head tucked in and eyes closed. I could get her attention and she would open her eyes, but I could not get her to move on her own. I went into the coop and picked her up to move her inside (in the 20's, but the other chickens are spry and unaffected). I put her on the ground to get out of the coop and she could not stand any more, was unable to use her feet...or wasn't up to trying. She was also breathing heavily, no wheezing, just visible deep breaths. I grew up on a farm and have seen these signs in animals before and knew this was not good.

I made a warm box for her with water and food inside, and placed her inside while I went to the web to search. I did notice yellowish runny poop where she roosts and she had heavy signs of it on her feathers near the vent. She also had a large poop that was solid, but stained yellow by the urates and had a strange mastitis/stringy yellow looking substance over it. The only thing I can find that is close, is the Blackhead you all have mentioned.

I went down to check on her after a few hours, and sadly, she had already passed away. It hurts to bury one of our chickens, we love them. We now have 6, they are all 32-36 weeks old. 5 are laying now, and I believe the speckled sussex was laying, but I can't be positive since they all started around the same time. If she was, I think it was only sporadic, over the last 10 days. I noticed two small "pullet" eggs that were a very light creamy color, different than our other breeds. I think these were hers. Initially, I thought she had trouble laying an egg. After she died I felt her abdomen carefully, but did not feel any "hung" egg (although I am not an expert). I am just at a loss.

What could have caused her decline and death so rapidly (less than 24hrs)? I check them multiple times a day. We did have two straight days of rain, which kept them mostly inside, but she came out eagerly to eat both days (often first). I did not notice any strange droppings either until this morning (she roosts in the same spot every time which makes it easy to check. We did feed them avocado peels (now I won't after reading they can be harmful and have resulted in deaths for others), but they would eat them and have been doing so for two months! The only other thing I can think of is, we fed them some raw portabello mushroom trimmings in the last three days.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm facing the same problem now myself.

I had one hen die this winter from this and now another one is going through this.

Symptoms

Lethargic, sits all day, doesn't eat much, wobbles sometimes when standing, and the exact poop you see in the pic above.

It took the hen this winter out in 3 days. I am not optimistic but I would like to know what this is because I'm afraid it will happen again.

I let them free range for an hour about 2x a month. If I find worms I throw them in the pen.

Nasty yellow mess on rear feathers, fluffed up, lethargic, not eating, yellow poops = might want to research egg yolk peritonitis. I lost a 3 yr. old black sex link to it some months ago and those were her symptoms.

If you have access to a vet - any vet, not necessarily an avian vet - you might want to consider taking a stool sample in for testing. Have them test for worms and bacteria. That will at least give you an idea of what you're fighting so you'll know what to fight it with.

Best of luck to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom