Worming chickens with Zimecterin Gold

Pics

SCS

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2019
I have 19 chickens and am wanting to deworm them using Zimecterin Gold. I have no idea how much I can give them/mix in their water. The plunger/syringe of the wormer appears to be in increments of 50 with the plunger going up to 1250 lbs. Does anyone know how much (notches on the plunger/syringe) I can mix in their water and how many gallons of water? Thank you!

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/praziquantel : 20 mg/kg in two doses ten days apart.
Zimectin Gold contains 7.35 grams, or 7,350 mg.
Divided into 25 doses.
(7,350 mg/kg)/25 doses = 294 (mg/kg)/horse dose.
(294 (mg/kg)/h. dose)/(20 mg/kg) = 14.7 chicken doses in a 50 pound increment, assuming every hen weighs about a kg. Can you find out what your hens weigh?
I can weigh a few of them and then estimate the rest of the flock. I'm not good with mg/kg. I'm old, didn't learn that in school back in the day. Do you mind converting to ounces :). Can I put that in water and if so, how many gallons per 50 lb increment? Thank you for your help.

I can weigh a few of them and then estimate the rest of the flock. I'm not good with mg/kg. I'm old, didn't learn that in school back in the day. Do you mind converting to ounces :). Can I put that in water and if so, how many gallons per 50 lb increment? Thank you for your help.
If I had to estimate at the moment, I would say each hen weighs about 5 to 8 lbs, 10 at the most.

Welcome to BYC!

I have no idea how much I can give them/mix in their water.
This cannot be mixed in the water because it is not water soluble.
ZIMECTERIN®_GOLD_Paste_for_Horses_(USA).png

Source:
https://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/msds2/545205MSDS.pdf

Does anyone know how much
The literature I have says praziquantel at 10-20 mg/kg, with most of them saying 10 mg/kg

One ml of the paste = 77.5 mg praziquantel

At 20 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 20 / 77.5 = ~0.12 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.59 ml per 5 pounds orally.

At 10 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 10 / 77.5 = ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.29 ml per 5 pounds orally.

Welcome to BYC!

This cannot be mixed in the water because it is not water soluble.
View attachment 1802794
Source:
https://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/msds2/545205MSDS.pdf

The literature I have says praziquantel at 10-20 mg/kg, with most of them saying 10 mg/kg

One ml of the paste = 77.5 mg praziquantel

At 20 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 20 / 77.5 = ~0.12 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.59 ml per 5 pounds orally.

At 10 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 10 / 77.5 = ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.29 ml per 5 pounds orally.

Thanks for the info! I'm not good at converting metric units. I'm old and did not learn that back in school. Can you tell me if my chickens weigh 8 lbs each, how much of a dose should I give 19 chickens? Thank you for help!

Thanks for the info! I'm not good at converting metric units. I'm old and did not learn that back in school. Can you tell me if my chickens weigh 8 lbs each, how much of a dose should I give 19 chickens? Thank you for help!
If they weigh 8 pounds each they would need 0.94 ml each. Did you see my note about it not being water soluble?

What breeds are they? I ask because most laying hens are 4-6 pounds.

Oh, I forgot to ask...are you in the US? I ask because Zimectrin Gold is formulated differently in other countries.

Back
Top Bottom