Worming chickens with Zimecterin Gold

Pics

SCS

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2019
I have 19 chickens and am wanting to deworm them using Zimecterin Gold. I have no idea how much I can give them/mix in their water. The plunger/syringe of the wormer appears to be in increments of 50 with the plunger going up to 1250 lbs. Does anyone know how much (notches on the plunger/syringe) I can mix in their water and how many gallons of water? Thank you!

1 ml syringe.png
3 ml syringe.png
5 ml syringe.png

I have 19 chickens and am wanting to deworm them using Zimecterin Gold. I have no idea how much I can give them/mix in their water. The plunger/syringe of the wormer appears to be in increments of 50 with the plunger going up to 1250 lbs. Does anyone know how much (notches on the plunger/syringe) I can mix in their water and how many gallons of water? Thank you!

Please be aware this drug is NOT APPROVED for chickens in the US. There are no reported withdrawal times. Therefore you cannot sell eggs or meat to anyone. Ever. You can consume the eggs in your own household only. Same with meat.

Btw I hate how few drugs have withdrawal info available. But just because doses are posted doesn’t mean you can use it if you sell eggs or meat. That info is intended for pet flocks whose eggs don’t leave your house.

You could literally kill someone. That’s why. If you use penicillin and don’t wait the prescribed time for withdrawal, a person allergic to penicillin could die if they had an anaphylactic reaction to residual amounts in the egg or meat.

If that happened, it’s a crime also. Just be advised.

It’s okay to use a lot of drugs on roosters since they don’t lay, but you still can’t sell meat if it’s an unapproved drug with no official withdrawal time.

I’m a retired veterinarian, so I know of what I speak.

Welcome to BYC!

I have no idea how much I can give them/mix in their water.
This cannot be mixed in the water because it is not water soluble.
ZIMECTERIN®_GOLD_Paste_for_Horses_(USA).png

Source:
https://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/msds2/545205MSDS.pdf

Does anyone know how much
The literature I have says praziquantel at 10-20 mg/kg, with most of them saying 10 mg/kg

One ml of the paste = 77.5 mg praziquantel

At 20 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 20 / 77.5 = ~0.12 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.59 ml per 5 pounds orally.

At 10 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 10 / 77.5 = ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.29 ml per 5 pounds orally.

scs, if the syringe is for cattle, goats, or larger animals, you might want to ask the local pharmacist for an oral dosage syringe for children. Most here, give them away. They do sell them here too, but why pay if the pharmacy will give you one or two.
5 pounds gets ~0.59 ml
8 pounds gets ~0.94 ml
10 pounds gets ~1.17 ml

1 tube which indicates it treats up to 1250 lb body weight. I would think one tube is more than enough.
It's enough to treat 1250 pounds of horses because the horse dose is only 1 mg per 2.2 pounds. The chicken dose is 10-20 times that, it's 10 mg/kg to 20 mg/kg.

If you have 18 chickens that weigh 6 pounds each, and one that weighs 10 pounds, that means you flock weighs 118 pounds.

118 / 2.2 x 20 / 77.5 = 13.84 ml
One tube = 7.35 grams = 7.35 ml
You will need two tubes to treat a 118 pound flock.

Why would the chicken dose be 10 - 20 times higher? The only thing I can think of is they have a higher metabolism.

Or is it because she's trying to kill tapeworms, and they require a higher dosage?
I don't know... Metabolism could be part of it, might also be that poultry tapeworms are more difficult to treat than equine tapes. The cat tapeworm dose is more than the horse dose too.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the medications in Zimectrin Gold are not approved for use in laying hens so most people will advise an egg withdrawal. There is a vet on a Facebook group that recommends an 8 week egg withdrawal for ivermectin.

In the future, you might want to consider something like Wormout Gel instead, it contains praziquantel and oxfendazole. It will still require a withdrawal, but I don't think it would be 8 weeks.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/wormout-gel-vetafarm/

Last edited:
No-one has mentioned safeguard for goats in this feed. Is it not a preferred dewormer on here? I like it since I can just add it to water. That's what I use as a dewormer. It seems to be effective since their stool sample always come back negative. One and a half Tbl to a gallon of water - repeat in 7 days.
No one has mentioned it because the thread starter is treating tapeworms and the best drug to use for tapes is praziquantel.

Welcome to BYC!

This cannot be mixed in the water because it is not water soluble.
View attachment 1802794
Source:
https://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/msds2/545205MSDS.pdf

The literature I have says praziquantel at 10-20 mg/kg, with most of them saying 10 mg/kg

One ml of the paste = 77.5 mg praziquantel

At 20 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 20 / 77.5 = ~0.12 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.59 ml per 5 pounds orally.

At 10 mg/kg the dose is:
1 / 2.2 x 10 / 77.5 = ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight, or ~0.29 ml per 5 pounds orally.

Thanks for the info! I'm not good at converting metric units. I'm old and did not learn that back in school. Can you tell me if my chickens weigh 8 lbs each, how much of a dose should I give 19 chickens? Thank you for help!

Back
Top Bottom